The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DE Razor Blade Hones

dkeester

"TSC's Master of Bourbon"
This seemed like this is the proper forum to post about my collection of DE blade hones. Please move it if it belongs somewhere else.

Sorry for the upside-down pics.

This one appears to be NOS and in decent shape, but the box is not complete. It includes the documentation. I have several sets of documentation that also came with this hone.

In case you wanted to learn how one works. Here is a shot of the documentation.

This next one is not a stone, but is made of Bakelite. The red side is supposed to hone the blade. The black side is supposed to strop the blade. It does seem like the two sides have different textures but I am not sure if this one actually works or not.

It looks like this company changed hands over a few years. These both are very similar. Notice the price change. The yellow box is probably the older of the two.

Most of these stones are most likely made of carborundum (a.k.a. Silicon Carbide), like many synthetic stones. Most that I have seen are just a bland gray-black. This next one is red, however. Unfortunately the box has seen better days.

I think this is the only one that I have which mentions straight razors on the packaging. The flat side of the hone could be used to hone a straight. I may give this a try some day, but I would have to lap the back of one of the stones first.

This one is a half sized stone, made to fit easily in the palm of the hand. This one was apparently meant to be used dry. The instructions that I have for some of the other ones state that they should be used like water stones. Either wet them before use, and wipe them off after, or use a bit of lather on the hone while sharpening. Apparently this Glover hone is different.

Why do you have a picture of a drinking glass in your post?

Because DE hones could also be made of glass. Also a smooth drinking glass was often used to refresh a DE blade. Notice that the stones pictured above, and the Bakelite hone also, have some sort of concave surface. This was meant to make it easier to find the bevel on the DE blade and keep it true. This is the same reason why drinking glasses were a popular, and cheap, way to refresh a blade. The inside of the glass makes a great surface for honing a blade. There were even several makers of glass hones. If you are curious lookup "Lillicrap's Hone" on the Interwebz. Another was the McKee Glass Safety Razor Hone.

So, here is the group pic. My modest collection of safety razor hones. I think they are really cool.

Apparently, they actually work well when used right. I imagine that modern DE blades with lots of platinum, ceramic, chrome, Teflon, and other coatings would not fare well when used with one of the stone hones pictured here. It would remove the coatings and possibly make the blade more harsh. The Bakelite and the Glass might be usable to strop a modern stainless blade, but denim is really good for that. Any carbon steel blades that are floating around should certainly be able to be improved by one of these devices.

They are just a great piece of shaving history and show that wet shavers have always wanted to get greater longevity out of their blades, even the disposable ones.

Great collection and mini history! Very interesting about using a glass cup. Thanks Doug.

Did you say you’ve used any of them before?

Awesome post right here, Doug! Though I'm not sure I would trust a product named "LilliCRAP"...lol.

Great collection and mini history! Very interesting about using a glass cup. Thanks Doug.

Did you say you’ve used any of them before?

I have used one of the Goodrich hones once, but I screwed up that blade. I will give it another try one of these days.

I have used one of the Goodrich hones once, but I screwed up that blade. I will give it another try one of these days.

I see!

Is there a reason you think that SR jones did not take this angled route vs flat? Is it just the particular edge of the DE blade that suits this style?

I see!

Is there a reason you think that SR hones did not take this angled route vs flat? Is it just the particular edge of the DE blade that suits this style?

I think the answer is one edge versus two. The concave surface makes it possible to hone both edges at the same time. A straight razor is probably easier to hone on a flat stone.

Thanks for showing us your collection, you have some great stuff. I think I have only seen the glass DE hones (Green in color) but it makes sense there would be others. About the time I had scrolled down to the red hone I was thinking about how you had not posted a pic of any glass ones ...then you posted the picture of the glass and it clicked. I can't believe I never thought of using a glass. All the glass ones I've seen were SO expensive but I never ceased being interested in giving one a try. Now I must find a proper glass and see what I can do.

Thanks for showing us your collection, you have some great stuff. I think I have only seen the glass DE hones (Green in color) but it makes sense there would be others. About the time I had scrolled down to the red hone I was thinking about how you had not posted a pic of any glass ones ...then you posted the picture of the glass and it clicked. I can't believe I never thought of using a glass. All the glass ones I've seen were SO expensive but I never ceased being interested in giving one a try. Now I must find a proper glass and see what I can do.

You're welcome. I am glad that you got something out of this post.

Just getting to this thread. Neat stuff, very niche collections.

Wow, you learn something new every day. I never knew these hones existed. Have either you or KJ ever tried these out? How do they work at bringing a spent blade back to life?

Very shortly after getting back into wet shaving, I started the pursuit of straight razors. So most of my time was spent there learning. I missed a whole other dimension of DE shaving. Not that I need it as the 250+ blades in the den for a razor that I rarely use will ever be required.

Hmm, glass sharpens DE’s, I’m wondering about sharpening a straight edge. Have to try that.

Well I know Shapton makes glass stones in two different series HR and HC. From 120 to 30K

Back