The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DE Blades

Adamf

Jr. Shave Member
He fellas,
As you know, I am really just starting my DE journey. As suggested, I bought a sample pack of blades.
I’ve heard an awful lot about feather. It being the sharpest on the market, some people calling it a pretty aggressive blade..I was interested in giving it a go. Yesterday I had about 3 days growth.
Unfreaking believable! Cut through like butter no tugging, nicks nothing. I could easily have stopped after 2 passes. Now I’m curious how many shaves I can get out of it.

My experience with Feathers is that the first shave can be a little harsh, then it's smooth for a few. I toss blades after 3 uses, so I don't know how long they last really.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Feathers are one of my favorite blades. And also one of the longest lasting blades in my experience. I know a lot of people use them for a few days and pitch them, but I think this is a waste and not getting the most out of a blade. Some people use them until they feel a slight drop in performance and pitch them before they have a chance to get any worse, but in my experience that slight drop is the only drop they experience and then they level off. There they will stay for quite a long time.

I used to routinely get several weeks to a couple of months of shaves off a Feather, but after doing a few longevity challenges with them, my record is 131 shaves off a Feather. With practice and technique refinement you will eventually learn how to get the most out of your blades and push them longer than you ever thought was possible.

People always say I'm crazy for pushing blades that far, and asking why I would endure bad shaves, just for the sake of longevity. The thing is, I don't have any bad shaves. If I do start having bad shaves, that's when I get rid of the blade. And to prove that it wasn't just me, and that others could also get this kind of longevity from their blades, I hosted the Ultimate Minimalist Competition to see if others could also get at least 100 shaves off a blade. We are nearing the end of it, with me and 1 other having finished, and 2 more slated to hit 100 shaves within the next week.

I used to routinely get several weeks to a couple of months of shaves off a Feather, but after doing a few longevity challenges with them, my record is 131 shaves off a Feather. With practice and technique refinement you will eventually learn how to get the most out of your blades and push them longer than you ever thought was possible.

People always say I'm crazy for pushing blades that far, and asking why I would endure bad shaves, just for the sake of longevity. The thing is, I don't have any bad shaves. If I do start having bad shaves, that's when I get rid of the blade. And to prove that it wasn't just me, and that others could also get this kind of longevity from their blades, I hosted the Ultimate Minimalist Competition to see if others could also get at least 100 shaves off a blade. We are nearing the end of it, with me and 1 other having finished, and 2 more slated to hit 100 shaves within the next week.
I mean, I am insane, toss it after 3 shaves.
FIFY

Feathers are one of my favorite blades. And also one of the longest lasting blades in my experience. I know a lot of people use them for a few days and pitch them, but I think this is a waste and not getting the most out of a blade. Some people use them until they feel a slight drop in performance and pitch them before they have a chance to get any worse, but in my experience that slight drop is the only drop they experience and then they level off. There they will stay for quite a long time.

This is one of the great strengths of this forum. Testing the longevity of a blade, or doing anything minimalist as a quest of sorts, is not the least bit enticing for me to try. But to follow someone else doing it, is can't miss content.

It's like watching Survivor. No way I'd try that, but bravo to those who have the cajones!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Wow! Ok so I don’t see that happening. If you are still getting good shaves that far into it then I guess, rock on.
I’ve got 5 on my feather right now and it is still going strong. Once I start to feel some tugging, recycle bin it goes.

Back