The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

coticol?

jimmie

Jr. Shave Member
okay. I'm not quite sure I get it. a cotical is a finisher. kind of like a natural Japanese, jnat's

is a coticol.your choice if you're not going to use a Jnat ? keeping it all synthetic?.

I can Google it all day long, but I'm not sure? is it just the cheaper way to do it? what are the advantages and disadvantages through a restorer's point of view. what are we basing the decision on, why use a cardical instead of a natural, I am not going to correct this talk and text anymore lol.

I must have a really heavy accent? or Google is just a easterner

It’s a natural stone.

My method of honing ( until I transfer to a supercurve method ).
A coticule can be a finisher, however it can be used from Bevel Set all the way through finishing using a "Dilucot" method. You raise a very thick slurry ( or paste) set the bevel in a variety of methods and then "Dilute" the swarf or paste, for use of nomenclature with drops of water through a Dilucot or dillution method with stroked until down to no, or very light swarf, clean the coticule and then continue under running water until the blade sticks, For me, I then either use a translucent, or Black Arkansas stone with Smiths honing solution, and repeat the process with water and finally running water until the blade sticks. then strop . I have used this method for years now after transitioning from Shapton stones. The Edge may not be as keen as some, but for my face smoothness is what I am after JMHO

Back