The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cosmetology/Barber College

xring3

Shave Newbie
The town where I live recently added barbering instructing as a course to what had been just a beauty school. There was only one barbershop in town and the guy that ran it operated on his schedule....aka when he felt like working. Most guys got used to going to the beauty shop with their wives or went out of town. I have now gone to the barber college for my haircuts and even a shave! Figured they need the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How was the experience there? They teachin em right?

Actually it was very good! JMO...the students in cosmetology don’t take the instructions as seriously as the students in the barbering class. The barbers are closely observed, instructed and graded on the cut or shave. The girls in the cosmetology.......well...I think they are looking for a husband. Haircut is $8.00 and a shave is $15.00. I always give the student a tip. I’m usually in the chair for about an hour. Relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think "Barbering" in general is on the up-tick. We have a "trade school" here that has a Barber course. It's about nine months long and pretty much full time. Seems to be pretty much on par with what @BarberDave talked about in his experiences. There is a cosmetology school about two minutes from my house. Haircuts are half of a saw buck. I went once because I needed something right then and there. Let me say I won't be going back. I understand it is all about who you get...but it wasn't a great experience. I did get a haircut once at that Barber college ($6 I think for the cut) and I had no issues at all. They took a little time...but I am okay with that. So I think the observations that @xring3 made are probably right on. Those in Barber Schools might actually be taking things a bit more serious.

Cosmos cut completely different and more care is extended to the experience. Ince i get through this funeral i will address in the barber thread

I went to Cosmetology skool during high skool, actually instead of high skool; went to night skool at the same time.

I wanted to be a Barber, because I HATED skool from Kindergarten on. My dad let me know that you could be a Barber at age 16, so I went to the office at skool and tried to quit. A lovely Christian man that was the guidance counselor told me beauty skool was an option, and FREE!

I'd never heard of Cosmetology. Looked into it, found out most all (at my skool about 97%!) were girls, and I was sold.

I did all the girls make up on Saturday mornings that would let me, and figured I'd be a make up artist.

When I started in skool, it was illegal for Cosmetologists to cut men's hair (Barbers had a stronger lobby in the state house. Of course, back then Barbers couldn't cut hair on Sundays, so it was in ancient days, lol). So I bought some clippers and taught myself.

Good thing, too, as the law changed, I got married, all my female clientele didn't like that I quit flirting back, and had to rebuild my business!

Does anyone care what this old fart used up Hairdresser/RN is spewing?

Lol, this post was SUPPOSED to be about the fact that in the dark ages, a hair cut cost $2 at my Beauty Skool!

It really IS funny how complex the history of barbers and cosmetologist/beauticians is. We all have our own memories and experiences with them depending on when we grew up and which one(s) were available to us growing up, not to mention how we might have seen or formed concepts of what they might be like from old (old when we watched them as kids....really old now) movies and historical references. Its been years since I watch the movie Grease but I seem to recall the plot revolving around the Pink ladies being beauty school gals.

It really IS funny how complex the history of barbers and cosmetologist/beauticians is. We all have our own memories and experiences with them depending on when we grew up and which one(s) were available to us growing up, not to mention how we might have seen or formed concepts of what they might be like from old (old when we watched them as kids....really old now) movies and historical references. Its been years since I watch the movie Grease but I seem to recall the plot revolving around the Pink ladies being beauty school gals.
Loved that movie, and I never dropped out. And remember: if you can't be an athlete, at least be an athletic supporter!

Back