The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Comfort shaving stuff.

Jaro1069

TSC's Cheerleader
Veteran
Okay. I know there are comfort foods and comfort clothes, blankets and whatnot , but does anyone have comfort shaving stuff ? Hardware / software that they turn to when they just need " comfort " or to relax ??

I guess I can start with I guess the razor I turn to most often.. I have mentioned that I got a bevel shaving razor head that came without a handle one time and I finally put it on a handle that was for one of those inexpensive 3 piece razors that I had given to my wife and then the cap broke on it and I gave her another razor. Well it's a decent stainless ( I think ) handle with a good weight.. Well that razor is the one I use when I don't want to think or worry about Anything.. I know that it will perform the same way Every time no matter what blade or soap or prep I do. It's my " comfort " razor.

Hardware: My Karve Christopher Bradley DE & RazoRock Game Changer are two razors I know I can always get a great shave with.

My comfort software is varied and ever-growing / changing but a few staples are Tabac and original Fine shave soaps for tallow. Phoenix Shaving "CaD" & "SunDown" soaps and splashes. Great old school / barbershop scents (vegan).

For comfort razors, I go to my straights. All my DEs are well behaved, but I dig the straights more.

PAA Brush Warmer is also for comfort. Those warm lather shaves are amazing.

All of my software is good, so it’s just grab and go.

So those are the things shaving related that calm you guys and make you feel " all safe and secure" Honestly that was what I meant when I started this thread. The things we turn to like a favorite food or family member.. That kind of stuff but shaving related...

So those are the things shaving related that calm you guys and make you feel " all safe and secure" Honestly that was what I meant when I started this thread. The things we turn to like a favorite food or family member.. That kind of stuff but shaving related...
Maybe not "safe & secure" but definitely a sense of comfort and well-being.

In earlier years, my fall back razor was always the Merkur 34C. I'd go off and try a bunch of new stuff or dig up old razors from time to time and use each for a week or so.... but I'd always fall back to the 34C and when I did, I'd use it for months without a second thought. Now that 34C doesn't get much use at all and my fall back razor is the Feather AS-D2. But I can also foresee my Mergress taking that spot as well, as I've been using it as much as my AS-D2.

Brush wise, I go back and forth between badger and synth quite a bit. But usually when I grab one of my Oz Shaving Co synthetic brushes, I stick with it for quite a bit without even feeling the need to go back to badger (sorry to my Paladin brushes...).

My comfort soap is obviously CBL. Doesn't matter what formula or scent really. Any other soap I use only gets used for a day or two without a significant amount of thought in continuing to use it (usually for a specific purpose, like 3017 or just using up a tub). But once I grab CBL, I fall into it and end up using the same tub for a while. And obviously when I use Dragon's Blood, I just kind of melt into the scent.

Blades..... Feather or Personna. I rarely use anything different.

Not sure if I have any comfort scents for aftershaves. I always change that up.

Old Spice is the meatloaf of my shaving universe.
tumblr_lxg3yz8nGM1qmw2fdo1_500.gif

Really ?? Meatloaf as a "comfort food" !! More a torture food !! Haha..
Mom had to stretch the budget back in the day and her meatloaf ticked all the boxes for me. She didn’t put ketchup on it and served it cold in sandwiches all week in our brown bag lunches. Just one of those comfort memories for me. With mayonnaise, which was highly unusual for Italians! 😭

Mom had to stretch the budget back in the day and her meatloaf ticked all the boxes for me. She didn’t put ketchup on it and served it cold in sandwiches all week in our brown bag lunches. Just one of those comfort memories for me. With mayonnaise, which was highly unusual for Italians! 😭
My mom and wife like Meatloaf.. My father and myself not so much. I will eat it certain ways but he wont at all.. I am Not much of a meat eater in the first place. I don't like hamburgers unless its a whopper Jr . I wont eat a regular whopper. I will eat tacos. I don't eat much with hamburger. My mom used to make a thing cooked in the oven with small meatballs and potatoes cut into chunks with butter and sometimes onions that was / is really good. As a matter of fact that is what i am having tonight and will be posting in a few...

I was teasing you about meatloaf because of how my dad is about it !! I mean he is funny over his reaction to it. I think when he was young in the 1940's and 50's that his mom probably made it with a lot of bread and ketchup so he kind of doesn't like it because I think she made it too "Bready"

I was teasing you about meatloaf because of how my dad is about it !! I mean he is funny over his reaction to it. I think when he was young in the 1940's and 50's that his mom probably made it with a lot of bread and ketchup so he kind of doesn't like it because I think she made it too "Bready"
No worries.

Back