The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Coffee Buzz, Blades, Brushes, Bubbles and Blather

3 February 2023

Morning Coffee: Morning Coffee: 15g Krucible's Soto Espresso brewed in Aeropress 255 ml 98*C H20 x2
Evening Face & Head Shave: Blackland Vector TI w/ Schick Proline blade (V), A&E Chasing the Dragon bowl lathered in WCS with Yaqi Professional Starry Night Tuxedo

Cold cold cold today. Woke up and immediately took the dog for a walk at daylight. This was the warmest part of the day today. Poor guy wasn't feeling it despite the fact that the sun was out and the wind hadn't really picked up yet. His tail went immediately between his legs before he got down the back steps. We tried for a walk in the woods, but the ice trails had his paws froze up after about 20'. Back to the car and then some coffee to worm me up. Finished off the Soto Espresso. Two hot cups of good coffee were all I needed today. Had a cup of hot tea before heading out the door at 4:15 to get the dog his evening exercise. I put a sweater on him that my sister-in-law gave us this Christmas. I seemed to do the trick. It was -5 and windy, much colder than this morning, but we went to a spot where there was more snow and less ice on the trails so the hound dog was fired up for a good 90' trek through the woods. When he barked at me I made him sit and be quiet, then we'd toss the frisbee a bit. He didn't seem that bothered by the cold, though he did get off the snow and ice and on to bareground whenever he had a chance.

I think it was a two day beard today and maybe 3 or 4 days of growth on my pointed pate. The schick proline has been out since late December, but only has a handful of shaves on it. I was a bit worried but it did a great job on the face. 3 passes and it was bbs. It still isn't the easy, no brainer shaver as the Yates, Timeless Ti or the Merkur razors, but I really like it. The wider swath it takes works really well on some parts of the face and head, but it makes it more difficult in other areas. This is not my only complaint. Mostly, I dislike the assembly and disassembly of this razor when it is loaded. It seems a bit dangerous. I do love the handle, balance, and weight of this razor. The lighter head can make oriented the razor a bit difficult in my off hand. This actually resulted in tow decent cuts when I moved the razor parallel to the direction of the blade just as it touched down on the dome. One in the back and then one in the front, both on the second pass. Need to work on that left hand!! Smooth shave though, elsewhere.

20230203_SOTD.jpg

Morning Coffee: Morning Coffee: 14.6 g No Bad Dogs brewed in Aeropress 265 ml 98*C H20,
Mid Morning Coffee: 26 g No Bad Dogs Melitta pourover 900 ml 98* C H2O
Evening Face & Head Shave: Merica with Personna (VIII), Luna Cosmetics Mentolado w/ Simpson Chubby 2 Sovereign Fibre lathered in WCS, House of Mammoth Embrace After Shave Balm

Cold Cold Cold... basically stayed in as long as we could this morning. But eventually we had to go out and play. Working on No Bad Dogs. Decent coffee, but not my favorite. It is a bit tastier in the aeropress, but it is only by a smidge. The ease and volume you get with the pour over probably wins the day. I drank alot of coffee today just to get warm and brave the cold.

The walk in the mountains today was cold and the snow was firm. Even with snowshoes I had more than a few times where my feet slipped down the hill on the hard pack trail. It was packed snow but hard as ice. Better on the dogs paws than ice, though. He wouldn't have lasted on ice. He did have a bit of blood in spots from where he would break through the crust, but he had a good time chewing up and chasing a few sticks. We were out for about 3 hours in 0-5 degree temperatures. Not much wind in the trees so it wasn't too bad.

Stopped to see if the Short Eared owls were hunting. They were a few, but none came close enough to be too exciting, plus it was pretty dark when we finally got to the grasslands. Here's a photo from last winter. I got a few photos this outing, but I haven't taken them off the camera yet

Another evening where the shave was good. I really look forward to them now. The synthetic brushes create lather a bit different than the badger and boars and this had too much water when I started. So I wound up adding a bit more soap. It was so much suds that I did another head shave. The Merica razor is sweet. Another Yates creation and a hell of a value. The personna blade is getting long in the tooth but the shave was a good one. This soap really is wonderful. The menthol sensation is strong and very cooling. Probably not the best day for it, since it was freezing out and not especially warm in this drafty house either, but it seems to work. I did get suds everywhere trying to work up a good lather. The Chubby 2 synthetic doesn't get me too excited though.

Not sure what splash goes with the mentholated soap. I used House of Mammoth Embrace. It is not my favorite scent, but the balm is soothing and the tabacco scent makes you feel a bit warm.

20230204_154659.jpgDSC_9020.jpg20230204_SOTD (2).jpg

5 February 2023

Morning Coffee: Morning Coffee: 15 g No Bad Dogs brewed in Aeropress 265 ml 98*C H20
Noon: Leah's Cakery for a big yeti of Death Wish Coffee "Blonde Ambition" (30 ounces), Buttermilk Biscuit and bag of Gingersnaps
Evening Face & Head Shave: Timeless Ti 0.68 Dorco Stainless (I), Luna Cosmetics Fauno bowl lathered in WCS w/ Heritage Collection Opal w/ Tuxedo Knot, Barrister & Man Vesper After Shave Splach & Balm

Coffee and rye toast to start the day. Delayed the dog walk until 10 a.m. It really was still cold at this time, but by noon it was balmy. The day ended at 40 degrees. Iloved the scent and suds of this soap. smells like a winter pine forest. Great slickness and tons of soads going everywherre (the synthetic lets them fly). Had to do a head shave there was so much lather.

Felt (& smelt) so good I went downtown for a manhattan and clam chowder. Nice to see Bonnie win the Grammy!

20230205_SOTD.jpg

Nice pics! Especialy the owl. And nothing beats a shave after a day in the cold - love it after an ocean swim too. Have a great day! Chow-da!

March 24, 2023

Morning Coffee: Kru Coffee 14.8 g Turning Point Blend ground at 67 clicks on 1Zpresso K-Plus handgrinder, Oxo pourover with melitto #2 natural 450 g water 97* C
Afternoon Coffee: Starbucks Ice Coffee
Evening Shave: Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica face lathered with SV Faux Ivory/Pewter Manchurian White Badger; ATT X1 SE w/ Schick Proline; SV Desert Vetiver

Finally getting back to posting some shaves. February and March were filled with stress from work, bad weather, and a bad back. Still dealing with the bad back, but work has let up a bit. I shaved regularly through February, using my synthetic brushes and my boar brushes only -- no badgers. I discovered that I enjoyed most of my boar brushes more than most of the synthetics. The AP Shaves cashmere knot was the tops of my synthetics. I didn't enjoy the Simpson synthetics as much for some reason. I also used a bunch of sample soaps; dropped and shattered the WCS scuttle, and lost a half dozen plastic washers down the drain.

Weak coffee today, but tasty. Didn't drink much coffee the past few days. Gorgeous day in the 50s. Muddy everywhere I went.

Shaved tonight after going out to find some short eared owls. The season is winding down and the owls really never showed up in any numbers (though I did find 2 dozen one evening about a week ago). I found about 8 -10 tonight, but in twos and threes and most after the sun had set. Also saw 6 or 7 northern harriers. Shave was great. Haven't used any SV since before Christmas, but I need to use this soap and aftershave more often. BBS shave feels and smells great. That may have been 15 shaves on the proline blade (lost count). I used the Alum, no sting but retired that blade tonight.

20230324_SOTD.jpg

Back