The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Coconut Oil vs. MCT Oil

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
So, many of us in the weigh loss challenge are doing some version of a low carb diet. It might be Keto, it might be Paleo, it might be High Protein diet...what have you. Many people that implement these low carb diets use coconut oil or mct oil. Just curious as to what you all use and why you use. And also, what kind do you use.

I personally use a little of each. I will often put a large spoonful of coconut oil in my coffee and blend it in. This gives me a nice creamy texture and a wonderful flavor. I know that coconut oil isn't completely made of MCTs there is a god amount in it. Coconut oil I believe contains Caprylic, Capric, and Lauric acids (all MCTs, even though I guess there is some debate about Lauric Acid being an LCT). Most MCT oils are just one type of MCT (there are some that have combinations though.

Anyway...some coconut oil in my coffee and this does it for me...it's like an energy drink that I don't crash from. It gives me a good amount of sustained energy. It may not hit me like a Red Bull. Instead it is a little more subtle.

I tried cooking with coconut oil and I don't care for it that much. The heat seems to intensify that "coconut" flavor and honestly, when I am eating broccoli or some other kind of fried veggie...I don't want that coconut flavor. In terms of what I use...honestly it's the Kirkland's (Costco) Unrefined cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

I will add a table spoon of MCT oil to a lot of things. It's odorless and tasteless so it goes into everything seamlessly I cooked with it once or twice and it does a great job...but avocado oil is lot cheaper for that job. I have been using the Bulletproof Brand Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil. Normally I wouldn't, because this stuff ain't cheap. But I found a sale on them (at Walmart of all places) and snatched up a ton of these bad boys. As far as MCT oil goes...this stuff is the real deal.

Anyway, so what are your thoughts?

Perfect timing because I have just started looking at this. Look forward to the wisdom that is about to be laid down.

Perfect timing because I have just started looking at this. Look forward to the wisdom that is about to be laid down.
John...not to get all linked up...but this should give you a basic knowledge of each. It's just general enough for me to understand it!

I forgot to also mention that I also use MCT powder. It's a bit easier to stir in as opposed to blending it for when you need it more readily available.

The one I have on hand currently is from ZHOU Nutrition, which should make @CVargo happy because the company is located in Park City, Utah.

Anyway...I would like to say I bought this particular brand because it's one that I trust and has quality sourcing. I mean...I did...but it was mostly because there was a really good deal on it from Amazon. But, ZHOU Nutrition is one of the companies I trust. Anyway, this particular MCT Powder does have pre-biotic fiber in it ( I think it uses acacia fiber). Anyway...just thought I would add.

I forgot to also mention that I also use MCT powder. It's a bit easier to stir in as opposed to blending it for when you need it more readily available.

The one I have on hand currently is from ZHOU Nutrition, which should make @CVargo happy because the company is located in Park City, Utah.

Anyway...I would like to say I bought this particular brand because it's one that I trust and has quality sourcing. I mean...I did...but it was mostly because there was a really good deal on it from Amazon. But, ZHOU Nutrition is one of the companies I trust. Anyway, this particular MCT Powder does have pre-biotic fiber in it ( I think it uses acacia fiber). Anyway...just thought I would add.
And it is acacia powder by the way as the prebiotic

Back