The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Clubman Reserve Scents... A Review

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder

This is based on initial Sniff tests, and on skin test for fragrance development. Actual longevity will be determined when used, but in typical Pinaud Fashion I expect it to be 3-4 hrs tops, although with a few Aftershave hacks in may be extended. More on that later as I did use Brandy Spice this Morning.

As KJ mentioned above this is not your dad's clubman. Much more refined in depth, however there is also no doubt for the packaging to the actual notes of the aftershave that it is in the family of Clubman, and tips it's hat to the original ever so slightly. Normally I would decant immediately into glass, however this bottles are a step above as well, so I may take a bit and decant to see how they develop.

BRANDY SPICE: A wonderful Apple, Cider, Brandy, and Vanilla mix to my nose, smooth on application, without the typical Clubman smack in the face and the initial hit of Raw alcohol, again much more refined. Out of the bottle nice, on the skin better, however it does begin to fade almost on contact. That being said this is the one I used today matched with Wild West Shaving Company's Doc Holliday which is a Mulled Apple cider. This was a perfect match. The hack to get it to last a bit longer was a few drops emulsified is a balm and then "Dottied" at all the pulse points and a few other areas, followed by a layering of the Aftershave "Dottied" on the same spots does increase the silage quite a bit. I initially placed it on at 0600 today and now at 1225 it is still nice, projecting maybe 6-12 inches, and not quite a skin scent yet, with subtle whiffs here and there. So about 7 hrs I think will be a terminal time to become a skin scent, but IMHO hints may remain longer depending on your body Chemistry. This stuff is very nice.

GENTS GIN:
Only initial Sniff and skin test on this one. Expectation on this were very high in hopes it would be a good base for Penhaligon's Juniper Sling. However, this one is a bit more linear to my nose. Lime and Quinine is what I get straight out of the bottle, and on the skin it becomes 7-Up. This is not a bad thing but not quite as complex as I hoped. Again will have to play around with in after a full usage, but I see the silage on this being very short 1-3 hrs maybe four with the above hack. Nice as well and different.

WHISKEY WOODS: This is a dead ringer to WSP's Ol' Kentucky. Which for me is a be redundant, as the WSP fragrance in both the aftershave and EdP are much stronger. The good news is I love that scent, and this Aftershave, typical of Pinaud is a bit lighter on application so this will work. Out of the bottle I get bourbon, mint, dirt, and horse. Smells of the Kentucky Derby. A strong powder finish as well. Nice. Skin test evolves a bit and I do not get a bunch of wood scents from this frag, more of a leathery note. Good Silage on initial test and I think would be comparable to Brady spice.

OVERALL: Are these worth trying? Absolutely. All three? Yes for the price they are a bargain and as stated above, are a classy presentation ( wish they were in glass bottles ), and Clubman has stepped in up a notch and well worth the price of admission. Since these are so new they are a bit hard to find, but check out some Golf Course Clubhouse Suppliers, that is where I found these.

Good review Dave! However,
Xenostr8shaver said:
Since these are so new they are a bit hard to find, but check out some Golf Course Clubhouse Suppliers, that is where I found these.
Does not apply anymore, they can be found just about anywhere that sells shavings supplies online, like Maggards, Italian Barber, Amazon, Fendrihan, Clubmanman Online, just to name a few.

I have let dozens of people smell these and everyone has liked them. No one has turned up there nose at any of the three.

The Brandy Spice after shave definitely appeals to me. Not sure about the other scents. Great review Dave!

We have those in Serbia, I was thinking to give them a try, now I will. Thanks!

Back