The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Chubberset C-400 By Alpha Shaving Company (Prototype) Review

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
Today, I am reviewing a prototype shaving brush handle from Alpha Shaving Brush Company, the Chubberset C-400. This brush, made in homage to the original and justly famed, Rubberset 400 shaving brushes, but with a chubby modern spin, which has a 30mm ferrule capable of comfortably holding a 28-30mm brush knot. I have also been told that there will be a 32 mm Ferrule available for those who absolutely have to have a GIGANTIC knot(Way too big for my face)! This brush is as I mentioned, a prototype and was 3D printed out of an acrylic resin, but the production brush will be milled from 6063 architectural grade aluminum. The weight of this brush was right around 90g, so I added in a few quarters when setting the knot so I could bring it up to the final weight of the aluminum brush, which should be 100g. The ferrule will be removable like with the original Rubberset 400, which will allow you to switch knots and clean it easily. As far as styling goes, it is a huge hit with me; the handle flutes are extremely well done and feel luxurious in hand. The size overall is similar to a Simpson’s Chubby 3, though I did not pull out my calipers to measure them up(it may be a bit taller). It fits in my medium hands comfortably and while lathering the flutes aid with griping the brush securely, though if you're messy I could see it getting slippery. The base is broader than the original so you don't have to worry about it tipping over anywhere near as easily.
Really though what gets me about the brush, is that I can stuff a 30mm silvertip badger knot in this baby and go to cloud 9 for a while in the quiet of the morning. OR I can stick a giant Boar in it and seriously mow through some soap!
I chose to use an APShave Co. 30mm Tuxedo knot in this brush because it really sets off the white handle and I wanted to save my money for the production model, which will definitely be adorned a 30mm silvertip badger.

Here's how I scored the brush after 20 shaves:
Style: 10/10
Very cool look with a classic feel IMHO.
Weight: 9/10
Perfect weight and hand feel.
Grip: 8/10
I purposefully covered it in lather and tried to hold it, no catastrophic dropping occurred.
Knot: I purchased this knot through APShave Co. and will not be specifically reviewed here.

This brush was purchased by me and was produced by a local 3D printing company. The final brush will definitely be different.

I hope this review was helpful!

Matt
Today's SOTD

Interesting. I like my Original 400 Rubberset but a stubby could have a place as well. I need more ferrels at a reasonable price for my 400........

Well now we know how Vlasta came in! Good job @Luecke3262!

Not sure about aluminum, but the white actually looks pretty good! Glad it working for you. I’ve never tried any of that handle type before but it does seem pretty popular.

I’m a bit confused on the handle as a product though. You mentioned you purchased it but had it printed locally. Does Alpha Shaving sell the buyer the actual handle or the CNC print file? Or is Alpha the local shop you worked with?

Not sure about aluminum, but the white actually looks pretty good! Glad it working for you. I’ve never tried any of that handle type before but it does seem pretty popular.

I’m a bit confused on the handle as a product though. You mentioned you purchased it but had it printed locally. Does Alpha Shaving sell the buyer the actual handle or the CNC print file? Or is Alpha the local shop you worked with?

Yes I know Matt in a lot of other forums.!!!

30mm is pretty big! Sounds like you really enjoyed the testing!
Oh yeah! For the longest time, I thought 26mm was plenty! After all, I'm not a titan with a face the size of a dinner plate, but once I started using a 30mm I really was impressed by the pure luxury of it. I have previously owned a simpson's Chubby and the bristles were super soft, but it seemed to splay more than I liked. When I set this knot, I set it to my preferred depth and it has really turned into something nice.

Ok, so Alpha Brush is owned by a British chap who I paid. He then sent his design to a local company, 3Dhubs to print and deliver my brush to me. His final product will likely be for sale at most of the major wet shaving websites or through him. I purchased my T-400, his Rubberset 400 "Clone" Directly through Steve.

Interesting. I like my Original 400 Rubberset but a stubby could have a place as well. I need more ferrels at a reasonable price for my 400........
Unfortunately those are hard to come by..... The T-400 I have has 5 ferrels, which I have Silver tip badger, two band badger, synthetic, horse, and a boar. I know his ferrels wont fit your rubberset.

Back