The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Changing sense of smell

Galaktus

Shave Member
Veteran
First Responder
Has your sense of smell changed? Is there a soap you once loved now makes you retch? Is there a soap that made you gag now something you look forward to using?
Years back I ordered a puck of Tabac. I could literally smell it before I got to my mailbox, and I didn't like it. I'm am ex-smoker and it truly smelled like a sweat dried homeless man's pants, that had cigarette butts stuffed in the pockets. Don't ask me how I know, I've been a cop in hot and sweaty Florida for 30+ years.
Anyway, I forced myself to actually use it, to try out the legendary performance. The stench was so overpowering, I remember nothing of the actual shave. I could smell it in my skin hours later, even though I washed my face as well as I could, and it still made me gag.
Years go by and I noticed my favorite scent, Mike's Natural Barbershop, seemed weak and almost non-existent. And this was on pucks I bought at different times. So I figured it may be me and not just one bad soap batch. I decided to give Tabac another try. The last puck I bought I don't remember if I threw it away or PIFd it. I don't remember any death threats coming in so I may have thrown it out. I bought a shave stick refill, the cheapest way to buy Tabac. Anxiously and timidly, I checked the mailbox daily. Eventually it came in, and I wasn't immediately punched in the nose by the offensive odor that was burned into my memory and nasal passages. I opened the box and cautiously sniffed the Tabac box. Not what I feared or remembered. Today I opened the box up, unwrapped the foil.....
and liked what I smelled! I had some quarantine free time so I had to grate the sides of the stick to fit it in a twist up stick. I stuffed what gratings I could into the bottom, and then pushed the mostly intact Tabac stick down into the twist up. There were some loose shavings on the cutting board, so I gathered them up and pressed then into the bottom of an empty shave mug. It was probably about the size of a peanut. Dare I take the next step? YES! I boldly took a brush, lathered up my face, and began to work the protolather up. I actually liked the scent! It's no longer a stench or odor to me! I shaved this morning so I did not shave now, I just washed my face off. Still smelling the aroma on my skin a while later, and it is good!

I’ve only had it happen to me in a positive manner so far...that is a soap’s scent intricacies begin to open up for me with more use or I come to at least be able to tolerate (sometimes enjoy) scents I was once on the fence about.

Back