The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLindsay checking in...

Smattayu said:
Lol I remember the super glue story. It had me cringing every time I opened a CA container for the next month.
dont get too comfortable, it could still happen to you.

CBLindsay said:
dont get too comfortable, it could still happen to you.

I get my fingertips covered in CA enough to rarely be comfortable while messing with it. Right now my thumbnail has a nice gloss to it.

I remember both of those stories fondly Chris, I expect for you, not so much. Regarding the soap volcano, have your batches outgrown the crockpot?

CBLindsay said:
Now, with some trial and error behind me I think my soaps are as good as any of the better soaps available.
Chris. You had sent me some soap samples a while back, and I honestly wasn't terribly impressed. But I'm hard to please, lol. They just didn't lather great for me. But this last batch you just sent me, so far is amazing. I'm working my way through all of them, and I'm on my second sample. It is so rich and thick. Just a lovely soap! It's the Damascus. The feel of the soap surface is gel-like and unlike any other soap I've seen.

McVeyMac said:
I remember both of those stories fondly Chris, I expect for you, not so much. Regarding the soap volcano, have your batches outgrown the crockpot?
I have done several batches on the stove with an enamel pot but only a few have been larger than what the little crock pot can handle. The soap volcano occured with a pretty large batch and was most definitely caused by the soap paste reaching then exceeding the desired temp. I have found that around 156F all is good, the paste can hand handle a good amount of heat and stay in equilibrium but when the batch surpases that 156F mark by a degree or two the heat retained on the stove top is enough to cause a volcano. I have built a little double boiler to for larger batches but have yet to use it. If the double boiler works as planned i will build a LARGE version to cook really big batches.

Spider said:
Chris. You had sent me some soap samples a while back, and I honestly wasn't terribly impressed. But I'm hard to please, lol. They just didn't lather great for me. But this last batch you just sent me, so far is amazing. I'm working my way through all of them, and I'm on my second sample. It is so rich and thick. Just a lovely soap! It's the Damascus. The feel of the soap surface is gel-like and unlike any other soap I've seen.

Thanks K.J. the Damascus was a rather labor intensive soap to make but i learned a lot by doing it. It has a fair amount of Bentonite clay in it which helps the slickness but I am hoping to get that slickness without the clay in future batches.

Back