The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Premium Shave Soaps Iron Throne

beginish

The Dr. Who of the TSC
For this review, I will spare y'all the deep thinking I put into the fougere review earlier this week. Why? Because Iron Throne is a heckuva lot more accessible and easy to describe.

First, the performance. In short, it's great. The very soft soap lathers easily, and using the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic I was easily able to develop a multipass lather with no muss or fuss. I face lather, and went back to the sink a couple of times after loading for about 10 seconds to build the same kind of rich, slick protective lather I achieved with the SIR Fougere scent previously. I should point out that I am not a fan of artisan soaps. I've tried many, and liked only a few (even those that are widely lauded on the shave sites). They generally just don't cut it for me. CBL rivals the best performing big boys, and outpaces many. In my hands, it performs better than DR Harris, Cella and Cade.

Performance is great, but the scent of Iron Throne really stands out here. On first sniff out of the package, it's woodsy. I get a mix of cedar, sandalwood, juniper . It also has menthol or another cooling agent that is only apparent when lathered. It is when lathered that the scent of this soap shines. The sandalwood really steps forward and you get this incongruous combination of the warmth I can smell in sandalwood and the cooling effect of the lather itself. Boy does that combination work. You know, I don't like sandalwood. I've tried many in the past and the only one that passed muster was Coate's Sandalwood cream. CBL's is better. I thoroughly enjoy it.

If you know you like Cade or Harris Marlborough or Castle Forbes Cedar Sandalwood or Penhaligon's Opus 1805 or Endymion, you'll like Iron Throne. If you're not sure about the woodsy scents, give it a go. With the cooling effect of the soap, I wouldn't confine use of this soap to fall/winter only. It has been a welcome addition to the line up this Spring for me.

I am impressed with your ability to detect the different notes. You did the same thing with SIRF. I am most pleased that you interpreted the scent as a "warm" woody within a chilling lather, that was the goal.

It's funny. I've lost the ability to detect a number of scents in the last few years, particularly those with a sulfur component (I can't smell methane gas leaks....kind of a problem). No problem with wood scents, though. I thoroughly enjoyed spending the entire winter with a tube of Cade balm. I can imagine Iron Throne in an AS.

Great review as always! I am glad you were able to pick out and describe each note. These type scents are definitely in my wheelhouse!

So, Bob, what I am reading from your two CBL reviews so far is ..... CBL's soap is a winner! (y)

I got mine a couple of days ago. Absolutely love the scent. I was a little worried when I heard about all the wood notes, as they can be overpowering, but this is balanced nicely. Woody, sweet, and a little bit of green somewhere. It's a great forest type scent (to me).

My only complaint is that once lathered, the menthol takes over the scent, and I really don't smell all that wonderfulness while it's on my face. That's why I'd prefer just the synthetics instead of the actual menthol.

Back