The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Dragons Milk

global_dev

Shave Enthusiast
Been using CBLs Dragon Milk soap and elixir last couple of days, really enjoying it.. i can totally see this as a fall/winter season release. the scent is there, the lather is easy, and can't complain about any skin issues .. after the last shave pass, i've found that i like to take the last extra lather and give my entire face/neck region a nice once over with the lather to enhance the experience. the post shave is very nice and the scent evolves for me into something i really enjoy, a whiff off the "puck" and it's strong and sweet..

CBL scent notes

"...includes notes of sweet pipe smoke and bourbon, creamy stout bourbon barrel aged beer, bitter dark chocolate, coffee and an enticing blend of exotic incense like notes, rich woods, Tonka bean and amber. Although this scent shares some of the incense-like notes found in Dragon’s Blood, this scent is NOTHING like Dragon’s Blood"

I think i didn't realize there was going to be the sweet pipe smoke portion.. i thought it was the bourbon barrel aging beer scent at first ... but i can see how it's sweet pipe tobacco but that the initial whiff of the sweetness, moves off pretty quickly.. i don't know why I was expecting something more akin to the scent of a lightly sweetened stout head foam. I'm wondering what i could cut it with to tone done the initial hit of sweetness.

definitely enjoying this release.. i'd love to see it without the pipe tobacco, but i'm probably one of the few that doesn't love that scent that much. maybe the pipe smoke visual is reminscent of something milk-ish, or is it the creamy stout concept.. i'd love to know more about how folks come up with the names.. so interesting to me.

nice job CBL!

I'm guessing the name came from this.....

new-holland-dragons-milk-12oz-bottle.jpg
Dragons_milk-soap.jpg

For me this is a sweeter, coffee/dark chocolate, version of Roasted Oatmeal Stout. Great slickness and post-shave feel, and I like you Jon do a final face wash with my brush squeezins. What I like about the sweetness on this, is that it then blends into stronger or spicier splashes for a great finish.

I'm a big fan. I do get the subtle sweetness. But Amber says she gets a fruity note from it. I don't see that.

To my nose, I still prefer ROS to this scent, but just by a little bit.

But Amber says she gets a fruity note from it. I don't see that.

I can definitely smell the fruit alcohol (a similar scent accord to weinstrasse) in the front, it disappears really quickly.

I think i may be with you on the ROS. I got a puck recently and it smells way less sweet

occams razor for the win.. 11% ABV dayumn... CBL should absolutely make a holiday gift set with a sixer of that stuff.

i see it's available locally to me.. hmm
If you have the beer available locally I suggest trying both the original dark version and the blond stout (the soap has both in it), they are both wonderful in their own way. The original comes in a 4 packs and costs about as much as a basic bourbon. The blond comes as a 6 pack and is a touch less expensive.
I'm a big fan. I do get the subtle sweetness. But Amber says she gets a fruity note from it. I don't see that.

My daughter really likes the dragons milk and she too says it’s got a fruity note. I think she even said it was almost citrus like. I think she’s all wrong but can’t argue about how intriguing and enjoyable the scent is.

Only found the 4 pack. Thats a pricey bit of brew for sure. Popped off the cap and took a room temp swig. Very very nice. Got a pretty significant kick to it as expected. Would go great with some burnt ends, salo, or dried squid. Maybe even some grilled fiddlehead fern with some S&P and olive oil.

The common accords between the brew and the soap are unmistakable although the soap
tastes, i mean smells, a bit sweeter.

The soap lathers really easily and well. I’ve been using some chubby 2 style brushes and i’ve been getting plenty of product in use. The drydown of the elixir is great too, not too sweet as far as i can tell from my own feel, but the first hit is kinda sweet and throws me off.

Hey guys, especially @CBLindsay i was given one of these sets for Christmas!!! I don’t have any soaps as soft as this one.

Is it best to scoop some out rub it on my cheeks or is loading on the soap ok? Just curious what you guys have been doing. I am a face latherer and loath bowl lathering.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey guys, especially @CBLindsay i was given one of these sets for Christmas!!! I don’t have any soaps as soft as this one.

Is it best to scoop some out rub it on my cheeks or is loading on the soap ok? Just curious what you guys have been doing. I am a face latherer and loath bowl lathering.

Thanks,

Matt
it is safe to load direct from the tub but you might find swirling just moves the soap around more than getting on the tips of the brush. You could try dipping like a cream but a Scoop and smear even if you just smear it on the brush works well. bel it or not the surface of the soap will seem to firm up if it gets damp or wet like it would when you load with a wet brush. making Soap with beer yields a really great soap/lather but the soap ends up SO soft. I hope you like it!

A synthetic brush and a light swirl and I still load from the tub. Just doesn’t take bit a couple swirls and you’re ready to face lather!

I have been doing the scoop and face smear method. It has worked very well.

Can’t dip your brush in like a cream?

it is safe to load direct from the tub but you might find swirling just moves the soap around more than getting on the tips of the brush. You could try dipping like a cream but a Scoop and smear even if you just smear it on the brush works well. bel it or not the surface of the soap will seem to firm up if it gets damp or wet like it would when you load with a wet brush. making Soap with beer yields a really great soap/lather but the soap ends up SO soft. I hope you like it!
It’s different for sure, love the scent! I need to get an order in for some more soaps from the Princess bride line soon!
A synthetic brush and a light swirl and I still load from the tub. Just doesn’t take bit a couple swirls and you’re ready to face lather!
Thanks guys I’ll provide a full report. I’ll give a try with a damp synthetic and see how it goes.

Back