The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cast Iron

fhalden

"Like BarberDave… I make my own fun”
I always liked cooking with cast iron. Since I moved here, I've fried my eggs in this cast iron skillet I found in my mother's cabinet. Tonight she informed me that it belonged to her great grandmother. My mother is 80, so this thing is very likely over 100 years old. It is so beautifully seasoned, the eggs don't stick at all. Just thought I'd share it.
5809f2fca03613ef89c591fed5c1f20b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have been keeping my eye out for a decent looking one for a while. Not that I’ve had much chance in the given circumstances :rolleyes:

In other news, there’s a number of folks’ finds and skillets in here:

I have been keeping my eye out for a decent looking one for a while. Not that I’ve had much chance in the given circumstances :rolleyes:

In other news, there’s a number of folks’ finds and skillets in here:
That's a great thread! Thanks for the reference!

We love cooking on Cast Iron. I use cast iron that is from my Great Great Grandfather during the the family's sheep herding days. They use to run sheep from Southern Montana down to Ferron, Utah. When we camp I still use the skillet, griddle, and pans from my Grandfather. Altogether I have 15 pieces from him.

That's a nice sized collection! I also have a big bean pot from my great great grandmother, but my grandmother painted it with God knows what kind of paint in the 1940s, so it's not really usable. It would hold a lot of beans! It sits by the fireplace as a decorative item now.
de75154e7d716524220ccb5bf441ae94.jpg

What maker is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know. The only marking on the skillet is the number 8 at the junction of skillet and handle. It's from 19th century rural Tennessee.

Just my guess....I looked up cast iron skillet with 8 on handle. Best guess is it’s an old Lodge. But, I’m no expert.

Just my guess....I looked up cast iron skillet with 8 on handle. Best guess is it’s an old Lodge. But, I’m no expert.

No, I'm certainly not either. When I was married we used Le Cruset and I had a skillet and dutch oven I got from Cracker Barrel. That's pretty much the extent of my experience.

Back