The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Canadian quarters?

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
The other day I took a "Piggy Bank" of change I'd filled up, after 5 years, to the bank to change out. Had around $250 in it. Considering how little cash transactions I actually have these days, I thought that was pretty good. It used to only take around a year to accumulate that much change. Regardless.... at the end she handed me two coins: A Canadian quarter and a British 20 pence piece.

Looking at that Canadian quarter brought back some memories. See, growing up in Michigan (a border state), it was common for Canadian quarters to be passed along, when giving or making making change, without a second though. It was only quarters, no other coin was treated like this. The two coins are roughly the same circumference, thickness, and weight. They were different enough that the Canadian coin would not be accepted in vending machines, etc. but in the pocket, nearly indistinguishable. It was just known that at some point, you'd end up with a few Canadian quarters in your pocket and 95% of retailers would accept it with no problem. You couldn't take it to the bank, so they just kept floating around, so to speak. Of course back then, the difference was sort of negligible. A Canadian quarter was worth around 24 cents. When I moved away from Michigan and tried to pass one along, people looked at me like I was crazy. Lesson Learned.

I'm curious, who from other states, have used and passed Canadian quarters around like this in the past. Anyone from Canada do anything similar with US quarters? @woodpusher?

And, more interestingly, is this still an accepted practice today? I'm curious, since the Canadian quarter has dropped to a value of around 20 cents, if that has any bearing on the "courtesy" of passing these around.

R.40c5c08b41d806dae9cd9d14b58a5b4b
R.b74e4280287d7276ab4c93d733d4f5e5

We accept American at par in Canada, but lots of coins from all over the world are being passed off to cashiers and given in return to customers when making change. Some that look like dimes are worth only about 2 cents.

When I was in high school working a fast food job it was a super busy day as the restaurant hosted a car show. I was working the drive thru which was converted to a walk up for this event. I got written up at the end of the day because my cash drawer ended the night with 3 Canadian quarters.

Also whenever I traveled abroad US money was always accepted as currency, and most stores/restaurants knew the exchange rate, but always held it in their favor. When I'd travel to Mexico alot this is I always did it. But change was always given in peso obviously.

Back