The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Can I have your opinions?

Manumik

Shave Member
Hey guys!
I'd like to know what you do and don't like about Shavettes?
And would you see Shavettes on the same level as a Straight Razor?
I appreciate those who would comment. Thanks!

I started my SR journey with a shavette. I heard they were less forgiving than an SR. So if you master that, then an SR is easy. Can’t think of anything I didn’t like about the shavette.

Are the two on the same level? I thinks so because they require the same technique and skill to use them.

I heard they were less forgiving than an SR.
They can be, it depends on what kind you get.

The thing about Shavettes is there are lots of different kinds out there. Some are similar to straight razor shaving and some are not. The weight and feel and technique on some are so different that its a completely different skill to transition from Shavette to Straight.

But what I really love about shavettes is that they are maintenance free. Swap a blade and you're good to go. Right now, I don't have the time nor the desire to go through the hassle of stropping and honing my razors. I wish I could.

I found SR and shavette skills to be highly transferable between each other. I did not find one particularly more/less forgiving than the other.

My open blade journey began by learning my first 50 or so shaves with a traditional SR, then I switched to shavettes for most of the rest (300+). I also like them because of ease of maintenance.

The only shavette-type razor I've used is the Feather AC. It is a super razor that shaves me more closely than any of my straights. I think that's because the AC blades are sharper than I can keep my straights. The care required to comfortably shave with such a sharp razor definitely carries over to my straight shaves, which are much more forgiving to my occasional attention lapses.

The Worst injury I ever had was with a shavette. The ONLY one I use both at home and at the shop ( when not using a Real straight ) is a Feather DX. It has the closest feel of an actual straight, whereas the SS does have a leading ridge, so it takes some of the workload as far as stretching for you ( more like a DE ) For me it is real straights all the way. No shavette has ever been able to match the shave of a real straight, but that is due t not only shaving, but how much time you are willing to place on Honing, and touch up on the stones.

To be a Straight Shave is 70% honing to get the edge correct, and once mastered 30% Technique. To get is right however the learning curve is long on both shaving with a straight and honing. but once mastered nothing else compares IMHO

The ONLY one I use both at home and at the shop ( when not using a Real straight ) is a Feather DX. It has the closest feel of an actual straight,
Dave have you ever tried a Weck? To me a Weck feels more like a straight than the Feather. Both in weight/balance/feel and in the blade itself..... especially since the Weck blade is wider than a Feather.

I just tried a box full of DE shavettes from KJ. I frequently use the Feather SS and would love to try the DX but it's pricey. The DE shavettes I thought were fine. Not better than AC blade shavette. And they have a shorter blade that in several razor was less rigid. I'll keep using the SS because I've decided that transitioning to a straight with the upkeep just isn't for me. But unless I find a DE shavette with sweet looks, I'll stick with AC.

What do I like about them? The attention and increased skill they take without the added maintenance of a straight. Makes a shave a bit more of an accomplishment for me.

When I first decided I wanted to try straight razor shaving, I got a Feather DX. Tried a few shaves, and they were disasters. Coming from decades of using DEs, I had no straight razor technique. Sadly, I decided SR shaving was not for me.

Several years after that, I took the plunge into 'real' straight razors, and went very, very slowly in my process. I got through the first couple of hundred shaves with virtually no nicks, weepers, and absolutely no cuts.

After somewhere near 1,000 SR shaves, out of curiosity, I pulled out the Feather DX, popped in an AC blade, and, to paraphrase Mark Twain, was amazed at how much that razor improved by sitting in a draw for several years.

It was an incredibly close shave, and because I now had good SR technique, the shave was just great.

I admire those who go right into shavettes, but for me, I had to learn good SR technique first. The Feather DX (as Barber Dave points out) does not have a leading ridge (as the SS model does), so a very light and careful touch is required. You can get away with a slightly steeper angle (the spine a bit more away from the face) with a shavette than with a traditional SR.

I use the Feather DXs (folding scales and kamisori style) on occasion now, and the shaves are incredibly close, but not as comfortable (or satisfying) for me as a traditional SR shave. Plus, I inevitably wake up the next morning with little to no reason to shave because of the closeness of the shavette shave. Doesn't stop me, mind you...

I have only used the feather SS. Closest shaves of my life. Never used a straight because I am lazy and don’t do maintenance. Using a shavette was a steep learning curve for me. That thing will bit you.

Dave have you ever tried a Weck? To me a Weck feels more like a straight than the Feather. Both in weight/balance/feel and in the blade itself..... especially since the Weck blade is wider than a Feather.
Ues KJ, I have. One here and some one at the shop. I am not a big fan. To me too much angle variability and can allow for more injury unless use with a guard. That being said I use a similar style of Razor called. “Tondeo Sifter”for doing “Roffler Sculpture Kuts”, or straight razor haircuts. I have, and many have shaved with them as well. Better ergonomics blade exposure, both with and without the guard IMHO. As to relative comparisons to a regular straights I still maintain the DX version of the feather is the closest I personally have found

Hey guys, thanks a lot! This was really helpful! I had some similar experiences over the years.
At the moment I only use shavettes, even though I love straight razors more.

I was asking this question because I'm working on a new shavette for more than two yeas now.
For me 99% of all shavettes are just tools. A straight razor just has more character.

My goal was took the design philosophy, the love for high-quality materials and attention to details from those high-end custom-made straight razors and combined them with the practical aspects of a modern shavette.
And actually I am almost done.

I just made the experience that so many men love the Idea of straight razor shaving, but they don't start because they don't want to hone and strop it. Even though that a part of the charm of a SR :D.

The very sharp blade in combination with a too light shavettes made us to use more pressure, that often ends in cuts, which is intimidated to a lot of beginners.

That's why it came to my mind that I could Invent a razor that eliminates the downsides of a Shavette.
I'm in the last state of prototyping and got already great feedback. I will share more information soon if you are interested.

Looking forward to getting more useful answers and exciting discussions :D

Stay safe!

PS:
My favorite Shavette is the feather artist Club DX. I also like the futuristic appearance of the Kai Capitan Excelia, but never had the chance to test on.

The very sharp blade in combination with a too light shavettes made us to use more pressure, that often ends in cuts, which is intimidated to a lot of beginners.

That's why it came to my mind that I could Invent a razor that eliminates the downsides of a Shavette.
Have you tried a Weck Sextoblade with Personna Hair Shaper blades?

I have several straights, a feather SS (that I can seem to get the scales I made pinned without breaking them) , a Weck, and a Bespoke Damascus custom shavette that will accept AC style blades half-de and full de blades depending on what your poison of choice is that day. To me the hardest part is patience and technique. Be careful and wonderful shaves are yours be careless and body fluids leak.

I have several straights, a feather SS (that I can seem to get the scales I made pinned without breaking them) , a Weck, and a Bespoke Damascus custom shavette that will accept AC style blades half-de and full de blades depending on what your poison of choice is that day. To me the hardest part is patience and technique. Be careful and wonderful shaves are yours be careless and body fluids leak.
TJ what’s the company that made that nasty shavette you have? I might need one.

Back