The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Can I do it myself?

CVargo

“Ya… Chris, Dave, It really is my fault"
Owner
Legacy
So this morning our over the range microwave pooped out. I think it's original to the house 2002. But we need a new one obviously. With all the leftovers eaten at home etc.... So I ask how hard is this install going to be? Can I do it myself? Or do I need someone to come in?

Answer #1 I would imagine it depends if you can get the same brand so it will have the same mounting hardware so it’s just a swap out. Or if it’s not, it’s already dead so why not get one, bring it home and see if you can handle it. It’s already dead so living without one in place doesn’t change anything.

Answer #2 (and should be expected) Heck ya Chad! Probably easiest with 1/4 bottle in ya. Make sure your wife is recording it when you get to the swearing stage!

I think you’ll be able to handle it. Just have to make sure any vents line up. It you can move the range out of the way it’ll make it way easier to maneuver around. Shouldn’t take much more than some common hand tools and a drill or impact driver.

It's not that hard to do. I have done it a few times for my parents... The new one will come with a template you lay in the cabinet that will show where the mounting holes should be and if they are not in the same place you will just drill new ones. Alternatively you could make a template of where the current holes are and carry it to the store with you and try to match it up to your current pattern.what happened to the current one you have ? Did it just stop working ? Show no power ? If it just went blank it could just be a fuse...

If it's just a fuse then they are pretty easy to replace and do not cost much. My family keep a couple of 5 packs of fuses just in case the fuse pops. Ours is under the front panel and only had like 4 bolts / screws and can be replaced without taking the microwave down. Just unplug it first or shut off power to it first if yours is wired in. The packs of fuses are usually less than 5 bucks. It takes less than 5 minutes on average to change the fuse just Google where yours is. A repairman showed me once when my parents had theirs serviced under warranty.. He said if he came out to do it not under warranty its like a hundred and something dollars to fix and if you do it yourself its like one dollar.

@Jaro1069 sounds and smells like something burned up. Tried warming something up this morning and it was putting off a weird smell and was not getting hot.

@Jaro1069 sounds and smells like something burned up. Tried warming something up this morning and it was putting off a weird smell and was not getting hot.
yeah it sounds like its more than a fuse but it still might be worth a google check and also to look and see if it could be one because if it is that would definitely be a bit cheaper. also as a note if you do open it up and look at the fuse be careful even with the power shut off because you will see a piece in there that has copper wire wrapped around it that you do NOT want to touch because it carries enough residual power to Electrocute you..........

Everything I'm reading is it's toast.

Needless to say I now wait for my order to be picked up at Lowe's. So either today or tomorrows adventure on install

Everything I'm reading is it's toast.

Needless to say I now wait for my order to be picked up at Lowe's. So either today or tomorrows adventure on install
We get a lot of our stuff from Lowes too. They are pretty good about standing behind their stuff.

It’s not too difficult Chad. If you are lucky and get the same brand you might be able to hang it on the old wall bracket. *Pro Tip* Make sure the bracket is level if you have to pull the old one out.

use the template with the new one and a level... if it was an expensive item Lowes is real good with their extended warranties ( I know some microwaves can cost over a thousand dollars ) . they have "replaced" 2 refrigerators under warranty for us..(the ice makers kept going out and the control boards had problems.).... they give you the money back you paid for it to buy another one....
oh good luck.

Back