The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Camino de Santiago, anyone??

bosch

Master TSC Shave Member
Curious if anyone has ever walked one of the routes to Santiago de Compostela in northwest Spain or knows anyone who has? This...

camino.png

I've become intrigued by this and I'm aware of some spiritual souls on TSC (this is not a religious post).

Apparently folks walk this path for many reasons, spiritual and otherwise. The French route and most popular from what I understand is approximately 500 miles long (this is not for me!!). I like the Portugese route...

porto:santimap.png

Oh, and BTW, there may be opportunity to buy shaving items in Portugal, right?? Perhaps even quaff a glass or three of some of the famed Portugese wine. ;)

This route may be more user friendly for an old guy at approximately 110-120 miles over probably 3 weeks.

Couple issues with my plan. (!) We're currently under various forms of travel restriction, you may have heard, right. So, something has to happen there. Other life issues too, but we know that life doesn't get shorter, right?

So, has any TSC member ever traversed one of these paths, or have you known anyone to do so?

If so, I'd appreciate any experiences, anecdotes, or other info you'd be interested in posting. I already bought my first item toward planning...

porto:santi.jpg

Thanks, @bosch

That would be awesome.. Closest I ever got to Camino de Santiago was Cartagena & Palma de Mallorca... Cartagena was beautiful, but I gotta say, after 4 days shore leave in Palma, a pilgrim's path might have been a good idea... :oops:

Very cool! What is the best experience you recall?
We walked the last 100 miles of the French Route. That is the minimum you can walk and still get your certificate of completion from the Church. We had a jog stroller for my two boys that were ages 5 and 7. We would start out at 8am and generally reach a new town around 2-3pm where we would check into a small hotel that catered to pilgrims. Some nights we would stay in a convent, castle or monastery. The walking was easy and the towns are all spaced 7-12 miles so you have a place to stay every night. Restaurants along the route serve a pilgrim menu for 6-9 euros. I highly recommend walking the Camino. It forces you to slow down and enjoy life at a leasurely pace amongst a beautiful region of Spain.

We walked the last 100 miles of the French Route. That is the minimum you can walk and still get your certificate of completion from the Church. We had a jog stroller for my two boys that were ages 5 and 7. We would start out at 8am and generally reach a new town around 2-3pm where we would check into a small hotel that catered to pilgrims. Some nights we would stay in a convent, castle or monastery. The walking was easy and the towns are all spaced 7-12 miles so you have a place to stay every night. Restaurants along the route serve a pilgrim menu for 6-9 euros. I highly recommend walking the Camino. It forces you to slow down and enjoy life at a leasurely pace amongst a beautiful region of Spain.

Awesome @Pelagic. That’s exactly the type of information I was hoping for!! Sounds like a great experience! Thank you for posting. Merry Christmas to you and your family. @bosch

Incidentally, I just spent the last three years sailing a 42’ sailboat around the world. I now have three kids. My wife and I homeschooled them. During the voyage we sailed 28,000 miles and visited 40 countries. We spent one winter anchored in the Guadiana river. The river forms the border between Spain and Portugal. We put the kids in school for three months in a small Spanish village called San Lucar de Guadiana. We really enjoy Spain and Portugal.

Incidentally, I just spent the last three years sailing a 42’ sailboat around the world. I now have three kids. My wife and I homeschooled them. During the voyage we sailed 28,000 miles and visited 40 countries. We spent one winter anchored in the Guadiana river. The river forms the border between Spain and Portugal. We put the kids in school for three months in a small Spanish village called San Lucar de Guadiana. We really enjoy Spain and Portugal.
DD41ED9C-0CAF-4A83-995C-F6598DF03234.gif

Claus Porto and Musgo Real both have shops in Porto. I have a bunch of their stuff...oh and please don’t let “Port” be known as our famous wine...there are MANY reds, whites and greens which are the envy of the world beyond Port. Of course also Aquardente which is second to none.

The wines of Portugal are world class. The Duero region is really beautiful and produces excellent wine. I sailed my boat into Porto a few years ago and was stuck there for two weeks when the river bar closed due to high waves. I spent my time visiting the various Port wine bodegas. Time well spent/wasted.

Back