The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

burl and resin brushes

NurseDave

“Stefan’s Glitterbomb King”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
Some time ago, I saw a brush I loved on Etsy. One end was wood and the other transparent resin. Were they met, you could see the natural outer surface of the wood with its bump and texture. Yes, I should have just bought it then, but I do try to use as much restraint (sorry to use that word) as I can to keep purchases down to the level they still are. From what I can see, these are no longer on Etsy. Does anyone know of a source of such a brush?

It is called shockwood. The first one that comes to mind is elite razors. I have heard great things about their knots too. There are people who sell just blanks too.

One of the blank suppliers that has some competitive pricing is Big Monk Lumber. I've taken a look at them, and might be testing a couple out soon to see how difficult it is to turn and finish them.

One of the blank suppliers that has some competitive pricing is Big Monk Lumber. I've taken a look at them, and might be testing a couple out soon to see how difficult it is to turn and finish them.
Yes yes yes! That's it! Or, could potentially be it with just a wee bit of work. ?

I know you have vacation and have some other jobs. If you want to mess around with these sometime I'd be in for a few different variations of those. Or just open me up a tab and start sending brushes out ?

Yes yes yes! That's it! Or, could potentially be it with just a wee bit of work. ?

I know you have vacation and have some other jobs. If you want to mess around with these sometime I'd be in for a few different variations of those. Or just open me up a tab and start sending brushes out ?

PM sent

Since they get stabilized, they should turn pretty uniformly. Just like a normal resin blank.

I have actually been looking into vacuum chambers and pressure pots to be able to make my own for a few projects I have in the works around here.

Since they get stabilized, they should turn pretty uniformly. Just like a normal resin blank.

I have actually been looking into vacuum chambers and pressure pots to be able to make my own for a few projects I have in the works around here.

I took a look at a small vacuum chamber a while back, but haven't spent any real time researching them yet.

I was just watching some videos on casting blanks like that last night. A pressure chamber at 60psi filled from a small air compressor was all the one guy used. Was actually a pretty simple setup.

I took some time during my vacation to look into what it takes a little more thoroughly. For casting the blanks, whether hybrid or full resin, you can put together a pressure pot for a reasonable investment. Stabilizing the wood, which is a requirement for most of the stuff you'd cast hybrid resin with, takes a vacuum chamber. A good chunk of you'd need from beginning to end can be re-purposed or fabricated, but all of it combined would take some time to put together. And then there's the cost of the resin itself, which covers a pretty wide range of prices and bases. Not that I have any plans to get into that or anything...
1f60e.png

You can find some good examples of shokwood brushes oon Elite Razors website. Posting pics with my phone doesn’t seem to work out or I’d post a few.

Back