The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bueler

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
no posts yet, are we not honing? Buying Rocks, or New Str8's HEHEHEHEHE

I got some new steel, but I posted that in the razor forum. I picked up an old Waterville from the bay.

I haven't started down the rabbit hole of hones yet. I have been looking into them though to see which path I will eventually want to take. At this point, I am leaning more towards the Naniwa super stones or some lapping film because of ease of use and consistency.

That's an area I'm trying to get into, but just don't have the time. I have bought a couple of stones along the way, but still need a finisher. I really enjoy using straights, but I can only seem to use them for a little bit, then I revert back to DE. I wish I had more time to devote to them.

TheVez2 said:
That's an area I'm trying to get into, but just don't have the time. I have bought a couple of stones along the way, but still need a finisher. I really enjoy using straights, but I can only seem to use them for a little bit, then I revert back to DE. I wish I had more time to devote to them.
Finding a good finisher is a big part of the battle. If you are staying with natural stones you never know exactly what character the stone will have in YOUR hands. I’ve had some stones do amazing work for me but be lacking in the hands of Dave or Chris H. Ive tried Arks and left the battle field crying in defeat yet Chris H and Dave swear a good Transark is golden. Going with synthetic finishers SHOULD deliver more consistent results but good synthetic finishers can cost too much for a blind buy.

If if you are ever in the mood to try one or more of my Coticules I can send you some. I have a really nice one that can (with a bit of effort) go from bevel set to finish.

Back