The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Brush re-knotting

John Paul

Shave Member
So I’ve been with Shaving for a little over 20 years now, and decided to try a 2 band brush.. I don’t like it at all, but love the handle.. I thought this would be a good option having it re-knotted with 3 band hair.
Does anyone know of someone that does this?

Thank you IMG_0199.jpeg

Before you re-knot this, try a couple of things one you have to give it a chance to break down and split its tips to become softer, but what you may want to try is take some shampoo. Wash the brush leave the soap in the brush overnight, then rinse it out and then put some conditioner on that brush. Let it dry overnight and then rinse it thoroughly and I think you’ll find it It’ll soften up for you. Try that first.

Ok thanks for the tip..I’ll try that.
Btw, How’s that Corvette? I live in the Metro Detroit area, and I see a lot of the new mid engine modelson the road now.$70000 starting price puts it out of my range.
Doing great thanks. IMHO the new Vette is not a corvette. It is a wannabe corvette with Camaro tail lights LOL

It is a great performer, but just not a “real” corvette. 😂😂😂

Agree, you haven't given that brush time to break in yet. I always lather my new brushes up, and leave them on the counter overnight, full of lather, to speed up the break in time.

Hey @BarberDave. Didn’t you do a brush break inthread or video? I did your hair bleach chemical treatment on a couple nice badger brushes and the result is/was wonder gel tips.

My go to technique for accelerating the break in of a new brush has been to start with a good washing (dawn or borax…both do well to clean and defunk) then I load and lather Williams (give the brush a good workout) and I leave the lather in the brush 12 to 24 hours to dry well. Do this a few times and it’s usually as broken in as it’s going to be. Some knots are very nice but could be better with the chemically induced gel tips.

Hey @BarberDave. Didn’t you do a brush break inthread or video? I did your hair bleach chemical treatment on a couple nice badger brushes and the result is/was wonder gel tips.

My go to technique for accelerating the break in of a new brush has been to start with a good washing (dawn or borax…both do well to clean and defunk) then I load and lather Williams (give the brush a good workout) and I leave the lather in the brush 12 to 24 hours to dry well. Do this a few times and it’s usually as broken in as it’s going to be. Some knots are very nice but could be better with the chemically induced gel tips.
I did. I think it is in my video library somewhere or actually in the tutorial video section

Back