The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

brush guide

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
i was looking for more info on brushes. does anyone know of a good resource i could use to do some reading on the different types of knots and knot densities. trying to figure out what knot i should for an upcoming brush im hanving turned. thanks

Other than going to a dealer website like Maggard, The Golden Nib, or WCS and just reading the notes on their knots..... I don't think I've ever seen a resource like you are describing.

Looking up other folk’s reviews can be helpful sometimes too. Some shavers have a ton of experience with various knots from various companies.

The way brush knots feel to people can just be so subjective that for anybody to put together a guide it just wouldn't be all that helpful.

And then the manufacturers do not have to adhere to a certain kind of terminology, which makes things more difficult because some makers may have a luxurious soft high mountain White while that same name is given to much more scrubby brushes in other makers, for instance.

If you're brand new into the game, then what I might do is put out some posts where you describe the kind of brush you might like. Do you want super soft tips or do you want a little scrub? Do you want it to be floppy to where it feels super plush or do you want it to be firm and have high backbone, or somewhere in between?

Then hopefully people will give you some good answers and when you start to see some common answers and common recommendations then that will be the best place to focus your research and search for reviews online etc.

(Sent from mobile)

Back