The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Boozy Scented Stuff

Soap Thing

Shave Member
Active Duty
As my collection grows ever bigger, I seemed to have accumulated a handful of soaps that have a boozy smell to them. I’m a recovering alcoholic so I’m not sure how I should feel about that. A while back, I got my hands on some Phoenix shaving Big Shave East Star Jelly, it smelled like straight apricot schnapps. At first it was actually quite nauseating [emoji1785] but now it’s actually quite enjoyable. That surprised me because I’m not a huge fan of soaps that smell like food, such as Cella or Shannon’s Pineapple Banana. It’s always surprising which ones are going to have that potent distilled sort of smell. First Line Green label smelled boozier than I thought it would. Conversely, The Club Signature, which on paper should smell bourbon heavy, didn’t smell like that hardly at all.

I guess the point of this post is to see which way the wind is blowing [emoji948] . How likes soaps and aftershaves that smell like liquor or food? Who doesn’t? And why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard for me to do either boozy or food scented soaps. I seem to stick with cologne/woody/earthy scents. I guess I'm boring in that respect. I did try Cella, but the sweet almond oil burns my skin..... It was definitely a sweeter foody smell. The only food scent I like and own is CBL roasted oatmeal stout. I don't really have any attraction to Boozy scents, only because the ones I've sampled are kinda harsh. Though, I haven't looked at them in several years. I could do a gin and tonic scent, maybe I should try out Sterling's variations some time.

Enjoy!

If i like the smell of it normally then i'd probably like it in a soap if it was well done. The trickier thing in my mind is, do you want to smell like that for the rest of the day. Something like CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout? heck yeah! who wouldn't want to smell like they have been hanging out in the kitchen making cookies all day! My wife on the other hand HATES things that smell like food but aren't, the exception being certain fruit scents that come across as more floral than food like.

Yeah gourmand scents have to be really well done for me to enjoy them. I typically do like the almond scented soaps, but apart from that I’m with the cowboy. I generally don’t want to smell like a particular food item for an entire day, even if the scent is faint and only noticeable to me.

I don't care for boozy or gourmand scents either.

I don't mind the scent on others if I'm passing bye. But that is about as long as I care to smell them.

Haven’t tried many gourmand or boozy but I’ve liked them for the most part.

Zingari The Soloist and CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout are at the top of that little heap. Both very different from each other (one boozy/lounge, the other a yummy cookie/baked good type) but excellent.

The frag Ferragamo Uomo is a beautiful, smooth tiramisu-like scent.

If i like the smell of it normally then i'd probably like it in a soap if it was well done. The trickier thing in my mind is, do you want to smell like that for the rest of the day. Something like CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout? heck yeah! who wouldn't want to smell like they have been hanging out in the kitchen making cookies all day! My wife on the other hand HATES things that smell like food but aren't, the exception being certain fruit scents that come across as more floral than food like.

Is that how you would peg Roaster Oatmeal Stout? Smells like cookies? I had a whole different scent idea in my head. I might have to investigate. I have a Wet The Face Soap that smells like Christmas cookies. It’s a nice enough execution of it. I think it depends on the scent or I have to be in the mood for it.

Is that how you would peg Roaster Oatmeal Stout? Smells like cookies? I had a whole different scent idea in my head. I might have to check that one out now.

Yeah. Like oatmeal cookies with just a bit of a beer note in the background if you really try to smell it.

Yeah. Like oatmeal cookies with just a bit of a beer note in the background if you really try to smell it.

Based on the name I’m guessing the background scent is darker. Isn’t Guinness a stout?

Yeah gourmand scents have to be really well done for me to enjoy them. I typically do like the almond scented soaps, but apart from that I’m with the cowboy. I generally don’t want to smell like a particular food item for an entire day, even if the scent is faint and only noticeable to me.

So that’s what gourmand is. I’ve had my head in the sand too long.

I always perceived gourmand to be a sweet food like scent.

A fresh baked glazed doughnut for example. There are others as well besides this.

While I don't mind the scent. I just don't want to go around smelling like that.

Looks like I just got served a new rabbit hole. I better bookmark this.

😙Yeah you’ll learn a lot but sorry about that.

I always perceived gourmand to be a sweet food like scent.

A fresh baked glazed doughnut for example. There are others as well besides this.

While I don't mind the scent. I just don't want to go around smelling like that.
You are probably right about the sweet food thing. I’ve thought of the term more broadly as “things that smell like food/drink,” but I certainly could be using it incorrectly. I am by no means anything other than a fragrance novice.

I think your correct about sweet drinks being gourmand as well as food.

I don't care to smell like a Latte either.

I'm more into fougere, vetiver, tobacco, aquatic, barbershop type scents.

If there is a soap that is something along the lines of a brownie or pie...It's usually not my favorite (I will stay hungry all day). But I have a couple soaps that are drink related that I really like. I just acquired A&E's Frozen Mojitos and I like it a lot. It's less booze and more lime with something that resembles effervescence. As far as random soaps smelling boozy? I have not experienced this.

All this talk of Boozy scents and nobody mentioned Pinaud's Reserve line? Sweet Rum, Gents Gin, Whiskey Woods, Brandy Spice, Tequila Tease, and Cognac Neat! All of these are fantastic!

Back