The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Book vs Movie/TV Shows

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Just like there are die hard fans of particular genres and of specific stories - both in movies and books - I have found that a good deal of folks either swear that books are better than their movie counterparts and those that think people of that persuasion are crazy šŸ¤Ŗ

For me, I normally prefer books to their filmed counterparts. I think the main reasons are that (1) when I read a book, I have a particular vision of what is going on that never seems to be depicted in the movies/tv show because for some reason, the director did not consult me šŸ˜‚, plus I normally read the book before I see the movie - so I have that preconception of what I think the story is and (2) given that movies/tv shows have a time limit - they canā€™t possibly depict everything that is in the book, sometimes have to summarize, and in some cases - make changes to be more mass appealing/

However, there are a few times for me that this has not been the case. The first is the The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit - I equally enjoyed both the books and the movies (all versions that I have seen - even dating back to the 70ā€™s when I was a kid).

1662996638580.jpeg

And, there are two that I hands down loved the movie or the series and abhorred the book (which is hard for me to say because I absolutely love to read)ā€¦ā€¦The first is The Princess Bride - which I think the movie is a masterpiece. The book on the other hand (which I read years later) IMO does not do the story justice - and even though the movie and the book follow the same story line with little deviations (including character lines)ā€¦ā€¦somehow the book seems to miss the mark quite significantly.

1662996705651.jpeg

The other is The Man in the High Castleā€¦ā€¦..it is an Amazon series which I really love the acting. Since it is less well knownā€¦.the premise is that the US lost the war to the Germans and Japan and the country gets divided between the two - and Americans form a resistance. I donā€™t binge watch a lot of TV (I can think of only a handful of shows that met this mark for me)ā€¦..but I did for the series. I was excited when I actually got the book (which was written years before the tv series) - which was like - wow, story lines the same and somehow the story in the book well, sucked the life out of the story like a Hoover vacuum cleaner (Do Hoovers even exist anymore? I may be dating myself)ā€¦..

1662996840646.jpeg

Anyway - those are my three example of the other side winning my vote. What are your examples? Do you prefer books or movies?

I'm hardcore in "the book is always better than the movie" category. I'm almost always disappointed, so much to the point now that I rarely will watch a show or movie adaptation of a book I've enjoyed. However, there is an exception (for me) that proves the rule: Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk). The book is good, but the movie is so well done.

1662999966609.png

I also agree with your take on The Princess Bride Brian!

I'm hardcore in "the book is always better than the movie" category. I'm almost always disappointed, so much to the point now that I rarely will watch a show or movie adaptation of a book I've enjoyed. However, there is an exception (for me) that proves the rule: Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk). The book is good, but the movie is so well done.

View attachment 93339

I also agree with your take on The Princess Bride Brian!
I forgot all about Fight Club (the book)! You are so right - both the book and movie are good!

I don't read, much at all. But I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in High School for a book report and loved it. It's so much better than the TV series and the movie. There's just so much they can convey in the book that they can't (or didn't) convey on screen.

I thought Jaws the movie was as good as the book but it wasnā€™t ā€œtrue to the original storyā€ in the purest sense.

Overall, I think they are two distinct genres so comparing is wrought with hurdles.

Great in-depth articles.
Ironically - there was a time in the not so distant past that you could only ā€read it for the articlesā€ - but for some reason - that business model failed them and they went back to their previous journalistic endeavors šŸ˜‚

Back