The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Blood Pressure Monitors

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Okay...so I like to monitor my blood pressure from home and keep a log of it to take into my health professionals when I go in for check ups and other visits. I am also getting ready to make an appointment with a cardiologist. Nothing wrong...I'm just at the age now where I think it is important to get that base line and start seeing one once or twice a year.

Here is my issue. I can never seem to get a reliable reading at home...ever. I started out with with a classic arm cuff BP monitor and found out that the cuff was too small and my BP readings were inflated. I bought a bigger cuff, but it never seemed quite right. I went with a different brand it was wildly inconsistent. I am currently using a wrist BP monitor but if I do as instructed the BP is too low. I try to adjust and my BP is way too high. I compare all of my BP monitors to when I go into the doc. Literally, I bring it along and ask them to do a second BP reading and it is always way off.

I know we have several medical professionals here at the Cadre and there are several others who have great life experiences. I am looking for tips to take my BP from home and possibly recommendations on BP monitors that actually work.

I am currently using an Omron BP629N Writs monitor and am kind of tired of it. I bought it because the arm cuffs were not doing me well (could have been the brand) and all the reviews I read said this one was accurate and easy to use. It is easy to use...but I never know if it is right or not.

Anyway...any help is appreciated! Pic below of what I am using.

1579539082489.png

I would go see the cardio (or a GP), ask what home cuff they recommend and then bring it back for them to calibrate against the reading they get from their clinical grade set up in the office.

I would go see the cardio (or a GP), ask what home cuff they recommend and then bring it back for them to calibrate against the reading they get from their clinical grade set up in the office.
This is probably the smart thing to do. I question the reliability of any of those home machines. Personally I'd just use a cuff and a stethoscope and do it the old fashioned way.

Bob...always the practical one! This of course would be the common sense way to do things! Of which I never possess. Thanks...I should probably just do this!

This is probably the smart thing to do. I question the reliability of any of those home machines. Personally I'd just use a cuff and a stethoscope and do it the old fashioned way.
If I could ensure I get a good reading (I don't myself in this technique) I would do this. I can slap on a field dressing or do first aid for a sucking chest wound...but I don't think measuring my own BP is something I would accurately be able to do.

Looks like I will make an appointment with the Cardiologist sooner than later.

Bob...always the practical one! This of course would be the common sense way to do things! Of which I never possess. Thanks...I should probably just do this!
Yes, this seems like the best way to go...

My wife is a cardiology PA, so I'll try to remember to ask her any recommendations tonight. She's always talking about stuff I don't understand o_O

Omron is probably the best brand that you can get OTC.

Are you sitting still for five minutes before taking the reading, feet flat on the floor, sitting up straight? To get a proper reading with a home machine you need to do all of those things.

Omron is probably the best brand that you can get OTC.

Are you sitting still for five minutes before taking the reading, feet flat on the floor, sitting up straight? To get a proper reading with a home machine you need to do all of those things.

a lot of info there, but a good laundry list of things to remember for consistent readings at home.
Thanks guys. Yeah...I try to do all of these. Of course I probably screw it up from time to time. I might try learning how to do it manually. But I will take a look at this link again @BadgerFiend ! Thanks guys for the great suggestions.

This is mine from Wally World. I get consistent reading in line with what they get at the clinic. How you take it is key as was stated or maybe you got a bum one.
IMG_20200121_135034184.jpg

Thanks guys. Yeah...I try to do all of these. Of course I probably screw it up from time to time. I might try learning how to do it manually. But I will take a look at this link again @BadgerFiend ! Thanks guys for the great suggestions.
You are very welcome. I’m a pharmacist so I’m an expert “looker-upper” of all things medicine related 🤔 good luck!

Back