The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Blessed Yule and Conjunction

OpusX

TSC’s Master of Warp Cores, Alchemy, Ale, & Cider
May you celebrate and reflect on this day of the solstice and conjunction.

dy50d4d0a0.jpg

Let's hope so.....
1608580021938.png

I took this pic of The Conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter, last night. Just with my iPhone.
1608580355180.png

Here is a better pic that someone took in our area with a telescope and an cellphone camera.
131753357_10103183894098071_6855751855135157995_n.jpg

And speaking of Saturn, let's not forget.
1608580733322.png
Io Saturnalia!

My own welcome to you, Sun of the seasons,
As you walk the height of your sky;
Your steps are strong upon your ascent,
You are the joyful mother of the stars.

You settle down in the sea of destruction,
Without harm and without fear;
You rise up on the peaceful arc,
As a young queen in bloom.

– Carmina Gadelica Vol III no 317

We have an 8” Orion Dob and mimimal light pollution. We could pull in both planets clearly and four moons of Jupiter. That was some greatness.

We drove up the mountain side a bit to get away from pollution and saw it. Sadly only naked eye, but yesterday reignited my want for a telescope.
The view yesterday wasn't much different than the night before. The way everyone was talking about it, I expected them to be a little closer. I did look at them with my stargazing binoculars, but even with that, you still can't see the rings of Saturn. It was better just enjoying with the naked eye.

I'd really like to get a telescope again, but what I want is WAY out of budget. I've used enough $100-$300 telescopes to know that's not what I want. Those telescopes are really only good for looking at the moon. If you want to look at planets or other Messier Objects, you really need something bigger and more powerful.

Sadly the fog and clouds didn't let us view the conjunction. I'm hoping that tonight will be clear. I'm hope that they are still pretty close together tonight.

Back