The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Blended Scotch Whisky

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
I'm watching a documentary about Scotch on Amazon. One factoid I found interesting was that 90% of scotch that is exported is blended scotch. That fact seems odd to me, because single malts seem to get all the press. It's easy to get lulled into the idea that blended scotches are the lesser whiskies or the beginner whiskies that you start with, eventually advancing to single malts when your palate or wallet allows. But the fact is, blends are not lesser spirits, they are just different. And in some cases, they can actually be better. Blends can certainly be more expensive, but I think for the most part folks buy blended whisky because they are much more budget friendly than single malts.

Off the top of my head, here are the blends I've tried: Dewar's, Chivas Regal, Johnnie Walker Red, Dimple Pinch, J&B, Cutty Sark, Teacher's Highland Cream, and Monkey Shoulder. Most of these, I do not remember exactly what they tasted like and if they are worth buying again. My favorite that I do return to often is Dewar's.

I'm curious what you think about blended scotch and what your favorite brands are (especially those that are more budget friendly).

Out of the Johnny Walker line I like the 18 and Green. But I haven’t tried the double black yet.

I agree. There for awhile I was buying into the hype about single malt only. But I have been introduced to some very nice blends.

I'm watching a documentary about Scotch on Amazon. One factoid I found interesting was that 90% of scotch that is exported is blended scotch. That fact seems odd to me, because single malts seem to get all the press. It's easy to get lulled into the idea that blended scotches are the lesser whiskies or the beginner whiskies that you start with, eventually advancing to single malts when your palate or wallet allows. But the fact is, blends are not lesser spirits, they are just different. And in some cases, they can actually be better. Blends can certainly be more expensive, but I think for the most part folks buy blended whisky because they are much more budget friendly than single malts.

Off the top of my head, here are the blends I've tried: Dewar's, Chivas Regal, Johnnie Walker Red, Dimple Pinch, J&B, Cutty Sark, Teacher's Highland Cream, and Monkey Shoulder. Most of these, I do not remember exactly what they tasted like and if they are worth buying again. My favorite that I do return to often is Dewar's.

I'm curious what you think about blended scotch and what your favorite brands are (especially those that are more budget friendly).
Was that doc called "Scotch! The Story of Whisky"? Great look into all things Scotch. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Of your list I've tried and like the Dewars & Chivas Regal.

There is a reason those blends have been so popular for so long. They’re good! Believe me, I love love LOVE artisanal gins, but when push comes to shove a Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire and tonic with lime more than do the job.

There are many, many outstanding blends but know that they all have some single malt and pure malts in them (yes oversimplified). So for me I got comfortable with single malts first from all regions of Scotland (Not all of them just some good ones indicative of a region) so I could just like a scent note in a soap pick it out in the blend. Also some blends contain whiskeys in them that are no longer available to the general public because the distillery no longer exists or it is found in ancient casks long bought up by the likes of JW. Some 50 and 60 years old. Here is a blend @Spider that is one of my favs... Ballantine's 17 and 21. I took a bottle of 21 to Jamaica with us last Nov for my birthday/anniversary. It is brilliant...
A9018293-FD33-4A6A-A069-A4782AD69627.jpeg
My Grandad loved Ballantine's so I have a soft spot for it.
Also Mossburn is a fav. This one is finished in casks made of three different woods.
C611021D-7DD0-4316-B98F-6BAACC1AD119.jpeg

Come to think of it I like Ballantine's 17 more. Kind of like I prefer Johnny Walker Green Label over the rest as an everyday sipper.

Back