The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Blade coatings

Does anyone know what if anything the different coatings on DE razor blades do for the blades? Do they make the blade last longer or help it to give a smoother shave? Or is there some other purpose?

I don't know what coatings do what, but there are multiple reasons, including those you mentioned. I don't really pay too much attention to it though, I just use the blades I like.

I have addressed these a little bit in a few of my Bad Blade reviews. But honestly not sure exactly what they are supposed to do. Manufacturers are everywhere on this too. Some claim smoother, last longer, sharper, etc

Best just to try a variety of singles then get an idea for what you like.

Blade coating? We don need no steenkin blade coating. Get a blade, load it in the razor and shave.

Seriously, I hear this argument come up on the SE side of the house where folks insist that PTFE coated stainless steel blades are far superior to uncoated stainless steel blades, but the problem is that not all PTFE coated stainless steel blades are marked as coated, but folks will insist that they are better.

Basically, I think one's shaving skills and the overall quality of the blade will trump any type of coating.

Back