The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Blacksmithing

BrisketGuy

Shave Member
I'm taking Blacksmithing lessons after getting hooked on watching forged in Fire. Just got this new coal forge with hand crank blower. Test ran it tonight. Started making a mini letter opener out of a nail. Had to stop due to got to dark outside to see. Gonna try forging a straight razor
20240610_210647.jpg

Nice setup. I would be the last person to try and dissuade anyone from smiting, but a straight is pretty ambitious. Even for most knifemakers.

I would suggest things like fire tending tools and tongs to start with. That way you can learn how metal moves under your hammer as well as how to maintain your fire. This will give you some useful tools and valuable information.
And of course the mild steel used for those is much cheaper than the high carbon steel needed for a straight. Doesn't hurt as bad when you burn it in half in the forge. Coal can do that to you in a hurry.

What do you have for an anvil? And if you have any questions, ask me. Post in my hobby thread, here, pm, whatever. I will be more than happy to give you any help that I can.
And please, please stay away from "instructables". 90 percent of it is wrong information.

Last edited:
Nice setup. I would be the last person to try and dissuade anyone from smiting, but a straight is pretty ambitious. Even for most knifemakers.

I would suggest things like fire tending tools and tongs to start with. That way you can learn how metal moves under your hammer as well as how to maintain your fire. This will give you some useful tools and valuable information.
And of course the mild steel used for those is much cheaper than the high carbon steel needed for a straight. Doesn't hurt as bad when you burn it in half in the forge. Coal can do that to you in a hurry.

What do you have for an anvil? And if you have any questions, ask me. Post in my hobby thread, here, pm, whatever. I will be more than happy to give you any help that I can.
And please, please stay away from "instructables". 90 percent of it is wrong information.
Taking Blacksmithing classes from a reputable friend who does it for a living. Still practicing hammer control. Already made a very crude set of tongs . Will make more better ones as my skill increases.

Anvil is 1 I inherited from my dad, he made it from a piece of railroad track. Plan on getting a used anvil that has the hardy hole and Cone end

Here's the nail I tested the heating capability of the new coal forge I bought. Turning it in to a sword letter opener. Not to bad considering I did it in the dark , outside light wasn't working, will have to fix it. Used my phones flashlight to help. Going to make some useful tools for this new hobby. The yongs in original picture on the ground below blower I made in my blacksmith class. Though you might not see them all to well. Using my offset smoker's rake for fire management for now, but plan on making 1 just for this.
20240613_215332.jpg

Anvil is 1 I inherited from my dad, he made it from a piece of railroad track. Plan on getting a used anvil that has the hardy hole and Cone end
I'm going to guess that your track anvil is made to look like a "traditional" anvil.
You lose a lot of energy in the web of the rail. They work, but you end up using a lot more energy for the same movement you would get if it was turned on end to put more mass under your hammer.
This is coming from experience. I did that when I started also.

Used can be good if you can find one reasonable. Finding one reasonable is hard to do anymore because of forged in fire. High demand from interest created by the show has driven prices up quite a lot.

Vevor has a "pig" anvil in a couple different sizes at probably the best price on the market currently. Bought my wife one. (135 pound I think) They have good rebound and move steel well.
Next up would probably be the NC Anvil. My only issue with them is the very small waist giving you a small sweet spot, and a large horn taking a lot of the mass away from where you do 90% of your work. Hence why I chose the vevor anvil when buying one for the wife.

Great that you have someone close to help you out. I learned a lot myself. I had help as far as answering any questions, but no one to watch and tell me where I can improve or to stop doing something dumb. Big advantage you have there. Be a sponge.
Really looking forward to see what you share.

Back