The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Blackland Vector smooth bar vs open comb.

wayne1963

Jr. Shave Member
Has anyone used both setups in the thread title? Thoughts, if you have please. I have an open comb plate on order, and can't wait to try it out. I already have a Vector smooth bar, and hope to knock the aggression up just a tad.

Has anyone used both setups in the thread title? Thoughts, if you have please. I have an open comb plate on order, and can't wait to try it out. I already have a Vector smooth bar, and hope to knock the aggression up just a tad.
I guess I'm out of the loop. I didn't realize there was an open comb vector.
Look forward to others answers.

I know Les @gvw755 had gotten one shortly after release. He’d already posted initial thoughts on a thread a few posts down in this section. I’d imagine that Gus @GlazedBoker bit on the OC too!

I watched a YouTube video with Ruds Shaves that did a review a couple of weeks back. He uses the Vector as his daily driver for dome shaves. He did say that the open comb bumps up the aggression up a notch or two so you should be pleased.

I also watched the Ruds Shaves just now. This is from his written review:
"The open comb baseplate offers the same efficiency of the safety bar and a similar amount of blade feel. The combs are well machined and although you feel them on the skin, they are not sharp and do not cause “comb distraction” that is sometimes prevalent in open comb razors. The open comb set up maintains the same medium-aggressive shave feel as the safety bar version."
Hope that can help. I recently got a chance to use a Vector, and am becoming all gung-ho now! I have found that I dislike most open combs due to how they feel. The Karve razor was my go to for over 2 years, and I couldn't wait for the open comb plates. But I hated them in the end, the teeth (or combs, as Ruds calls them) felt sharp on my face.

Back