The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Black Surgical Ark Finishing Hone

Nice video Dave!

Now I understand what you mean when you say "till it sticks".

CBLindsay said:
Great demo!
Thanks chris, I think this was a better angle than the last one, LOL
clyde72 said:
Nice video Dave!

Now I understand what you mean when you say "till it sticks".
Thanks Craig, it was a sticky widget, LOL
cmh737 said:
AWESOME, Dave! You've gone above and beyond, my friend. Many thanks!!!

It was my pleasure Chris, the bengal is a joy to shave with Still DSBBS at 10:00 pm and I will be getting a Black ark for sure.... you enabler, LOL. I think she will polich up even more as more razors go across her..

It was fun!

Quijote said:
Great video. You make it look easy.

Thanks Don. Years of bad edges and mistakes and learning to this point, and still so much to learn, LOL

Awesome Dave, I have a soft, hard, and surgical black arks and a norton water stone set, looks like ill have to sit down and work on my straights

Tetraodon said:
Awesome Dave, I have a soft, hard, and surgical black arks and a norton water stone set, looks like ill have to sit down and work on my straights

Thank you sir

Thank you for this video Dave. I have a couple of questions that I think the answers are obvious:
[list type=decimal][*]Is the 2,000 grit wet/dry the only grit paper you used? Did you lap the stone dry or wet?[*]Did you do any burnishing with tool steel after the steel wool?[*]Did you put a straight edge on the stone and check for flatness before or after your lapping?[/list type=decimal]Chris had sent me this stone some time ago, and I did put a chisel on it as there were a couple of spots that did not reflect light like the rest of the stone. I did check it for flatness longitudinally, horizontally and diagonally, and my assessment was that it was flat.

McVeyMac said:
Thank you for this video Dave. I have a couple of questions that I think the answers are obvious:
[list type=decimal][*]Is the 2,000 grit wet/dry the only grit paper you used? Did you lap the stone dry or wet?[*]Did you do any burnishing with tool steel after the steel wool?[*]Did you put a straight edge on the stone and check for flatness before or after your lapping?[/list type=decimal]Chris had sent me this stone some time ago, and I did put a chisel on it as there were a couple of spots that did not reflect light like the rest of the stone. I did check it for flatness longitudinally, horizontally and diagonally, and my assessment was that it was flat.

Chris had indicated it was lapped and when I checked with pencil it was indeed perfectly flat I did only the 1000, 1500, 2000 and the SW I did not have any 3000. I do believe that would have helped, but all in all worked very well

Back