The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bingo Haul - Wild West Shaving Company

dkeester

"TSC's Master of Bourbon"
These arrived today (10/11/2018).

For winning Bingo game #5 I received a gift card to WWSC. Since this was my first time buying from them ever, I decided to pick up two different scents to really give the producer a fair try. The scents that I picked up are Doc Holliday, which is mulled apple cider, and Pinkerton, which is Mahogany, Teakwood, Lavender, Geranium, Cedarwood, & Oak.

I may do a shave review of these soaps in the future, but I definitely wanted to talk about the product that I received and the buying experience. The WWSC web site is easy to use. The shipping was USPS Priority, so it was fast with a very quick turnaround by the producer. The buying experience was very excellent.

I wish that there had been aftershave splashes in the scents I wanted, but the spray colognes seem good so I can't really complain. The product looks good. The labels are simple, but classy with a picture of the person or item that the scent intends to evoke. When the web site says that the soaps are packed in 2 ounce plastic tobacco tins, believe it. I am not sure about the Pinkerton, but the Doc Holliday is most definitely packed in what appears to be a repurposed chewing tobacco tin. This definitely contributes to the rustic, Western feel that the brand is trying to evoke. The producer also wins points for recycling and being Eco-friendly. I like the packaging. It is unique. The soap quantity is smaller than most other producers, but the pricing reflects this. The soaps are 2 ounces, as are the spray colognes. The soap ends up being priced a bit on the low side for most artisans. Buying 4 ounces of soap (2 x 2 oz. tins) ends up costing around $16 which is on the low side of average compared to other soaps on the market. The colognes are 2 ounces (~60ml.) at $15 they are less expensive than a large number of other colognes on the market.

This is all great, but how do they smell? They smell good. I mean really good. The Doc Holliday is my favorite of the two. It has a good strong apple and spice scent. It makes my mouth water a little bit. I really want to shave with this. The Pinkerton is a great scent too, but it is more subdued and less distinct. At least the soap is. The Pinkerton cologne has a brighter scent than the soap. The floral notes are forward with the various woods supporting. It is a good cologne-y sort of scent. I think it will be a real pleasure to shave with it.

A shave test is going to have to wait a bit since I am currently in the middle of my 3017 of Tabac, unless I decide to have a cheat day. And with the way that these products smell having a cheat day is really appealing prospect. Jim (@WildWest74) says this soap is his best performing soap ever. Based on scent alone I can see why he likes it. I think the scents are definitely Tier 1. I am really looking forward to finding out how they perform. I hope I like them as much as Jim does.

Thanks, Jim, for introducing me to a new artisan.

Great first thoughts Doug!

An apple forward scent...I guess that’s fairly appropriate for Thanksgiving!

Awesome selections, Doug!

I know Russel is transitioning to the different containers like the one Pinkterton came in, so he may not have changed the site yet. As for the lack of aftershave variety, I will say that you may be pleasantly surprised once you try the soap. If you rub the excess lather into your skin rather than rinsing off, you can (for me at least) completely forgo any aftershave splash or balm. This stuff has such amazing post shave properties that I never worry about aftershave once I use it. The matching colognes are just a good way to extend the scent throughout the day. And they are EdP strength, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. Cannot wait to see your review.

(P.S. the rest of your prize is a little delayed but you should have it sometime next week)

If you dig em, there's certainly a lot ot choose from with that company

WWSC makes a good soap and they have some really good scents. I think their 2 ounce size was a brilliant idea, combine that with the variety of scents and there is no reason not to have the entire WWSC library.

Hey Jim, you should give Russel a nudge. He would be a great vendor to have here at The Shaving Cadre. He is (or has been) very responsive to the shaving community, he would fit in well here.

WWSC makes a good soap and they have some really good scents. I think their 2 ounce size was a brilliant idea, combine that with the variety of scents and there is no reason not to have the entire WWSC library.

Hey Jim, you should give Russel a nudge. He would be a great vendor to have here at The Shaving Cadre. He is (or has been) very responsive to the shaving community, he would fit in well here.
Thanks for the review. Maybe I will consider getting some of this for my Reindeer buddy.

Those of you that have tried this before, what are your favorite scents?

I like what I have so far, but I would love some pointers on what to try once I have had some time with these two.

Those of you that have tried this before, what are your favorite scents?

I like what I have so far, but I would love some pointers on what to try once I have had some time with these two.
Winter Lodge wasn't a favorite so Pif'd it. Still have Teddy and like it.

Doc Holiday, Peace Pipe, Aces & Eights, I have 7-8 total bot all my favorite but they are all nice in their own right.

Rose Dunn (if you like rose scents)
Aces & Eights (included in my 2018 PIF!)
Special Reserve No. 2 (some rose, but very nice)

Eventually, more might make it into my den, but for now I'm happy with what I have...for now of course.

QUOTE username=CBLindsay userid=5837020 postid=1305799972]Hey Jim, you should give Russel a nudge. He would be a great vendor to have here at The Shaving Cadre. He is (or has been) very responsive to the shaving community, he would fit in well here. [/QUOTE]

I actually started to open that door. I will let him know we are specifically interested in having him on board.

As for my favorite scents, my top would definitely be James & Artemus, because it was designed for me.

I also love Irish Brigade, Annie Oakley, Six Shooter, Rose Dunn, Black Gold, both Private Reserves, Black Sails, and Little Big Horn.

Really like Wild West, the 2oz size is perfect for variety. Russ is a nice guy with excellent customer service.

Plenty of interesting scents to choose from, many are excellent IMO. The ones i have tried are:

Pinkerton- clean complex British barbershop cologne

Outlaw- leather manly scent

Rose Dunn- coconut with light wild rose

Calamity Jane- fruit forward, very complex

Witchita- this one is really different, hard to know what tp expect from scent notes but it smells amazing. Soap has a pink tint.

Pony Express- this is my least favorite of the bunch, suppost to smell like EL but is missing that unique sharp note IMO.

2017- Rus threw this in last year, love this scent, christmas/fruit/spice/spruce type of scent. Lots of scent notes.

Coffeyville- carmel coffee latte type of scent

Billy The Kid- cherry

Annie Oakley- beautiful floral, similar vein to L&L Mayflower

Cherokee- green tobacco, bit similar to RR ZP

James & Artemus- almosr forgot this one and it is one of my favorites of the bunch. Rose (masculine) blended with other notes, on the sweet side.

Peace Pipe- sweet tobacco scent. Reminds me of MW Sweet Briar

If this soap works well for me, which it probably will, I will definitely be buying more. All of these scents sound amazing.

It is almost as good as CBL for me. Not an elite soap but definitely high tier 1.
Everyone here seems to agree that it is Tier 1 or better, so I am sure I will love it. I just need to finish my current 3017. I will have a couple of free shaves before starting the next one.

Back