The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Best Shaving Memories with Dad

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Since it is Father’s Day - I like to reflect on those great shaving memories we had with our Dads. For me, I remember my dad having a Fatboy and while he did shave me from time to time (without the blade of course)……my best memories are shaving side by side with him as a toddler. I had a set of huge keys that went to a toy mailbox (@August West - maybe I should have been a mailman 😂) - so I used those as my “razor.” After our shave, my dad would splash a copious amount of Aqua Velva on our faces……still love that scent to this day.

For me and my sons - when they were that age - I didn’t do traditional wet shaving - rotating from electric and cartridges. Though now, Aidan and I shave every week together - and I love the scents we have for him - bubble gum, grape soda, cotton candy. And I treasure the day, just recently, when I taught my son Jack to shave with his “new” Gillette Slim and his badger brush.

What are your memories?

i wonder how often it is that fathers teach their kids to shave these days. My father in the 1970's suffered from horrific ingrown hairs and so he mostly wore a beard, and he still has one now, and always used an electric razor. He'd happily shave the back of my neck with it, which was the only hair i had, (i suppose i was a hyena really) and the cats would hide.
My grandfather had a Smith safety razor and would use nothing else, none of your fancy soap like today - slap it on, shave, job done. Watching him was eye-opening. Zorro!
His father was a career army officer and used only a straight. Zorro on steroids!

i learned from YouTube and blood loss.

T

Happy Father’s Day to all my fellow male role model bros! 😎👍

Unfortunately, while my dad is a great guy, I was handed an electric razor, shown a couple times what to do, and that was that. He was gone most of the time during the week on long commutes and working.

Such is life!

Happy Father’s Day to all my fellow male role model bros! 😎👍

Unfortunately, while my dad is a great guy, I was handed an electric razor, shown a couple times what to do, and that was that. He was gone most of the time during the week on long commutes and working.

Such is life!
Where did you learn your straight razor skills?

My memory is kind of backwards. I couldn’t remember what i did with a special razor handle i had and figured it was just lost in my house to the house gremlins. I spent like 2 years wondering where it was.

On vacation to visit my parents, he couldnt stop talking about how he really enjoyed using his razor, and when he went to show me whatbhe was talking about, i couldnt stop smiling when i saw it was THE handle i was searching for all this time. I was glad to see he was so proud of it!

Unfortunately my dad has always used an electric razor so no real stories of shaving together and no heirloom pieces to be inherited (other than a 3 head Norelco and a bottle of Afta 😜 ). We are very similar in many ways, but shaving is not one of them.

Unfortunately my dad has always used an electric razor so no real stories of shaving together and no heirloom pieces to be inherited (other than a 3 head Norelco and a bottle of Afta 😜 ). We are very similar in many ways, but shaving is not one of them.
Hey - I have found memories of Afta

As long as he was able, I remember Dad as an established electric razor user. He favored his Sunbeam plug-it-in-the-wall razor. He tried a Ronson for a while, then he hijacked my Norelco 2 head razor. Always used Lectric Shave, and Old Spice. And Vitalis hair tonic. He used can-o-spoo with his Schick M were late in his life. After his passing, I discovered what I believe was his service Dopp kit, finding a Henckell and a heavily corroded Slim. There was a lump of blades rusted together.
I took up traditional shaving when my Braun gave up the ghost at a crucial time. I used Dads Schick and canned spoo for a while before switching to straights and traditional soaps when the soap dried my skin out.

Absentee Dad, so Grandpa Tony was my male role model. Schick Injector, Colgate canned goo, and English Leather. Paternal Grandpa Pietro used a Utica Red Dot straight, old Spice puck, and I think a Rubberset brush, finished with witch hazel. Just for perspective, my maternal grandfather was born the year my paternal grandfather was discharged from the Italian Army after The Italo-Turkish War. My Father was a very late life baby.

I just observed because we were seen not heard back in those days.

Last edited:
Absentee Dad, so Grandpa Tony was my male role model. Schick Injector, Colgate canned goo, and English Leather. Paternal Grandpa Pietro used a Utica Red Dot straight, old Spice puck, and I think a Rubberset brush, finished with witch hazel. Just for perspective, my maternal grandfather was born the year my paternal grandfather was discharged from the Italian Army after The Italo-Turkish War. My Father was a very late life baby.
Thank you for sharing my friend! Do you use an injector because of your Grandpa? Was your maternal grandfather’s razor Italian army issued? Or was it something he picked up later in life?

Thank you for sharing my friend! Do you use an injector because of your Grandpa? Was your maternal grandfather’s razor Italian army issued? Or was it something he picked up later in life?
Yup. That’s why I use an injector. I did use English Leather for quite some time, but it was reformulated and I stopped. Also an Old Spice guy because of Pietro. Utica Red Dot was a Soligen razor that I believe was manufactured in Utica, NY. down the street from the old homestead. So not issued.

Grandpa Tony was a dandy.
When i was a boy we'd be coerced into a car and be driven 300 miles or so to spend the day, usually at Christmas or Easter with my father's parents and all his sisters and their families would come too. My father was in an early middle-management job at the time, not making a lot of money and the car was clapped out - it was rusty and had a hole in the floor under the accelerator pedal, but he'd let me sit on his lap and 'park' it in the garage at the end of these trips.
Uncle Michael shows up in finest Harris tweed jacket, with a scarf, in a sleek open-topped sports-car that everyone went outside to admire.
'Dad, how come uncle Micheal has a great car and ours is crap?'
'Uncle Michael never had kids!'

T

Back