The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Best Movies of the 1980s

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I want to compile a Cadre List of the Best Movies of the 80s that you have actually watched and love. I'll try to keep a running list of this and who knows...maybe I will try to watch some that I haven't seen yet.

Only rules are...

1.The movie has to have been released in the decade of the 1980s (1980 to 1989).
2. It must be a movie you have watched.
3. Let's limit this to three movies per post. Not saying you can't post more later...I just don't want someone listing 100 titles and then it kills the thread.

Other than that...the movie can be big release, small release, any genre, etc. Feel free to discuss the movies freely. What you liked about it...it was the "anthem of a generation," it was scary as hell...you know...all the stuff you want to talk about.

There are really so many movies from the 80s that I really loved and enjoyed...so the ones I list may not be my absolute favorites...just the ones that I can think of at the time. But I really want to see the ones you all really like. Maybe even say a little something about each.

Movie List

Better off Dead
Do the Right Thing
Down By Law
Full Metal Jacket
Krush Groove
The Princess Bride
Ran
She's Gotta Have It
Wings of Desire

Last edited:
I want to compile a Cadre List of the Best Movies of the 80s that you have actually watched and love. I'll try to keep a running list of this and who knows...maybe I will try to watch some that I haven't seen yet.

Only rules are...

1.The movie has to have been released in the decade of the 1980s (1980 to 1989).
2. It must be a movie you have watched.
3. Let's limit this to three movies per post. Not saying you can't post more later...I just don't want someone listing 100 titles and then it kills the thread.

Other than that...the movie can be big release, small release, any genre, etc. Feel free to discuss the movies freely. What you liked about it...it was the "anthem of a generation," it was scary as hell...you know...all the stuff you want to talk about.

There are really so many movies from the 80s that I really loved and enjoyed...so the ones I list may not be my absolute favorites...just the ones that I can think of at the time. But I really want to see the ones you all really like. Maybe even say a little something about each.

Movie List
1. Ran; Full Metal Jacket; The Princess Bride

Better off Dead - I mean...who doesn't like a depressed John Cusack trying to kill himself and trying to race two Asian dudes that are doing play by play like Howard Cosell

Krush Grove - Okay...this wasn't the best movie of the 80s. It's not even really a good movie. But I like it. It makes me giggle every time. With an all star line up like...Sheila E., Run DMC, the Fat Boys, New Edition, Jam Master J, the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J...with a line up like this, who needs a plot!

Down by Law - I love this movie. And it is really underrated. A DJ, pimp, and an Italian tourist are arrested in New Orleans and break out of jail. Casted with Tom Waites Roberto Benigni, and John Lauri. This is very much a drama that kind of sticks you in the heart. A must watch in my opinion.

I've seen and love 4 of the 6. (Have to watch Krush Gove and Full Metal Jacket some time.)

I'd also think about adding these

She's Gotta Have It/Do the Right Thing. Take your pick of one of Spike Lee's early movies
Wings of Desire - a strange but beautiful movie. An angel in Cold War Berlin falls in love with a human and gives up his immortality.
Brazil

I've seen and love 4 of the 6. (Have to watch Krush Gove and Full Metal Jacket some time.)

I'd also think about adding these

She's Gotta Have It/Do the Right Thing. Take your pick of one of Spike Lee's early movies
Wings of Desire - a strange but beautiful movie. An angel in Cold War Berlin falls in love with a human and gives up his immortality.
Brazil
Do the Right Thing is definitely a must see in my opinion. Don't believe I have seen She's Gotta Have it though. Looks like I will need to check it out too.

Just watched the trailer for "Wings of Desire." Just a quick look at it and it seems to be a really beautifully shot movie. Just artsy fartsy enough me to really want to watch it. Might be renting it on Amazon this weekend! Thanks Bob!

Do the Right Thing is definitely a must see in my opinion. Don't believe I have seen She's Gotta Have it though. Looks like I will need to check it out too.

Just watched the trailer for "Wings of Desire." Just a quick look at it and it seems to be a really beautifully shot movie. Just artsy fartsy enough me to really want to watch it. Might be renting it on Amazon this weekend! Thanks Bob!
I haven't seen Do the Right Thing in a while. It may not have aged well in the time of MeToo.

Wings of Desire will give you your fill of artsy-fartsy. Bonus points if you like Nick Cave and the Bad Seed. My tastes run artsy-fartsy, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

I haven't seen Do the Right Thing in a while. It may not have aged well in the time of MeToo.

Wings of Desire will give you your fill of artsy-fartsy. Bonus points if you like Nick Cave and the Bad Seed. My tastes run artsy-fartsy, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.
I'm more of a Tom Waits kind of guy...but Nick Cave does the trick in a pinch... 🤪

A number of good ones have already been said. Since the answer can’t be all of them, I’ll just scattershot because it’s hard to go wrong:
- Goonies
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
- The Breakfast Club

If number of views is any indication, I'd have to suggest Bloodsport. It was on TBS every Saturday for about 15 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There are just too many wonderful movies from the 1980's...

Here is a list, trying not to duplicate answers from above.

Big Trouble in Little China
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Batman (1989)
Beverly Hills Cop
Labyrinth
Escape from New York
The Shining
Excalibur
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer