The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Best Ice Cream Experience

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Ice Cream will always be my favorite food - everything tastes better in frozen cream!

My favorite places to get ice cream are both in Philly (of course)! The first is Bassett’s Ice Cream in the Reading Terminal in Philly. My dad took me there, his dad took him there - and I’ve taken my kids there - this is the best traditional ice cream place in Philly. The Reading Terminal is an experience in itself and no better way to top it is with ice cream!

My second favorite place is Franklin‘s Fountain - again in Philly. It is an old school (think 20’s through 50’s soda jerk/pharmacy type of place). Presidents have gone here. I took my kids here many years ago. I was recently divorced - and we were driving down Market Street in Philly. Traffic was going at a snail’s pace…I saw flashing lights and you could see 4 people on their knees being hand cuffed. I thought, ‘Great, my kids are going to tell their mom all about a drug bust we saw instead of the Aquarium, Franklin Institute, or Boat House Row- I’ll never hear the end of it.”

Turns out they were filming an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia with Danny Devito. 😂 The ice cream experience was fantastic!

1633792816434.jpeg

1633792953184.jpeg

1633792977474.jpeg

1633792925915.jpeg

So my favorite Ice Cream comes from Utah State University. They are called the aggies and as you guessed Logan, Utah is agriculture town. And the Creamery as it is called provides the best products ever from a cow. Anything that comes from a cow is best here! The ice cream is by far my favorite and I love all the different flavors. My two favorites are Raspberry when its raspberry season, or butter pecan.

Favorite is from a National Chain 31 Flavors and "Baseball Nut" French Vanilla with a Raspberry vein and Toasted Salted Whole Cashews. Delicious, and of course Rocky Road

If you like soft serve ice cream served any way you like in lumberjack-sized portions, this is the place. It looks the same now as when I was a kid. I love everything about it.

A $2 investment here makes most folks happy. A $5 investment will make your eyes roll back into your head.

1.jpg

Last edited:
I was on the Amtrak Southwest Chief headed for LA on a stop over in Albuquerque. At that time there were no Cold Stone’s back East. I tried the “Gotta luv it” size sweat cream mixed with almonds. Totally hooked.

My Dad's soft serve skills were legendary. He would pay less than a dollar for a small cone and go to the self serve station and would come back with the largest amount of ice cream you ever saw. It made the one in this picture look small. He got his ice cream to be almost twice as wide as the cone. My mom was always embarrassed by this.

rawImage.jpg

I second Bassett’s and Franklin Fountain for ice cream. I can also recommend Purity Ice Cream in Ithaca, NY and the Creamery at the student center at U. Wisconsin in Madison.

Back