The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Best Bar Experience

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
My favorite bar will always be The Irish Pub (12th & Walnut in Philly which has closed its doors - for sentimental reasons)

My favorite experiences where I live now are:

Speakeasy
The Gibson- you call and leave a message. They call back with a code word…great ambiance- and music - plus the secret knock

Best Summer & Early Fall
H Street Country Club
Has indoor miniature golf and a fantastic rooftop bar terrace

Just because
The first floor bar is a school bus because why not

‘Best all around fun
Penn Social

It has Penn in the name, all the board games you can imagine, old school picture booths, shuffle board, arcade games, giant connect four, plus bar tenders willing to make ‘This Guy’ manly drinks that have fruit and an umbrella

Barcade in Philly is a pretty cool spot. Lots of craft beers if that’s your thing, but the main attraction is arcade games and pinball machines everywhere!

Home | Barcade® - The Original Arcade Bar — Fishtown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The Frenchy’s locations in Clearwater Beach are always a must when we go down for Spring Training. Harry Kalas (legendary HOF play by play announcer for the Phillies) used to hang at the original location. They also have their own seafood market and fishing boats. Just about any type of local fish ordered was usually caught that morning.

FrenchysOnline.com | Home of Frenchys Restaurants at Clearwater Beach

Next time I’m in FL. I need to go here!
If you ever make it down there you have to make sure you do the Frenchy’s Passport Challenge! Every location has a signature drink and when you order your first they give a “passport” and stamp it. If you get stamped at every location you earn yourself a t-shirt. The shirt is usually pretty cool, but the fun part is seeing how fast you can get to all the locations(without driving of course). I think our current record is 2 hours 😂😂😂

If you ever make it down there you have to make sure you do the Frenchy’s Passport Challenge! Every location has a signature drink and when you order your first they give a “passport” and stamp it. If you get stamped at every location you earn yourself a t-shirt. The shirt is usually pretty cool, but the fun part is seeing how fast you can get to all the locations(without driving of course). I think our current record is 2 hours 😂😂😂
That reminds me of when I was with an Army bud in Dublin and this really cool chick we met that was from Seattle - hung out for the day and did a literary pub crawl. My favorite quote was from Brendon Behan

“I saw a sign that said ‘Drink Canada Dry’. So I did.”​

One I often think about was ending each day at the resort bar in Tahiti with fresh coconut as a bar snack and Eros Ramazzotti concert on the TV.

CE9BB8FF-2657-4C30-9BCB-3E9D53DFAAAD.jpeg

KC has several speakeasies. I’ve been to one called Manifesto. It’s great. There’s another one called Apparition that only pops up for a few weeks and ends on Halloween. I want to try that one.

I used to help with sound and road crew stuff for a little local band when I was in NC. We went to a bar for them to play one weekend and the owner asked me to watch the door to take money and make sure no one left with an open container. I said sure, then noticed something curious about the place. I asked him how fresh the bullet holes in the door were, and he replied "last weekend".......
That's a good experience, right?

Believe it or not, I've never been in a bar. No kidding, I tried to get in one when I was 18 and got screamed at by some lady bar tender and never had the desire to go back in. Not my kinda hang-out. Nothing against those that do like to spend time there though.

Believe it or not, I've never been in a bar. No kidding, I tried to get in one when I was 18 and got screamed at by some lady bar tender and never had the desire to go back in. Not my kinda hang-out. Nothing against those that do like to spend time there though.
Well your wallet is definitely richer because if it !

I used to help with sound and road crew stuff for a little local band when I was in NC. We went to a bar for them to play one weekend and the owner asked me to watch the door to take money and make sure no one left with an open container. I said sure, then noticed something curious about the place. I asked him how fresh the bullet holes in the door were, and he replied "last weekend".......
That's a good experience, right?
Good that you survived!!!

KC has several speakeasies. I’ve been to one called Manifesto. It’s great. There’s another one called Apparition that only pops up for a few weeks and ends on Halloween. I want to try that one.
Apparition sounds right up your alley !

Back