The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Basic soap making 101 - a look at how to make your first batch

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
A few of the members have expressed an interest in trying their hand at soap making. I have always encouraged those who might have an interests to explore it further. Making your own shaving soap isn’t all that hard but it does require a little know how and some basic materials. Someone here on the forum once quiped that soap making isn’t rocket science. A statement I agree with both literally and figuratively...it’s not hard. Make no mistake, soap making IS science, chemistry to be exact. Hobby soap makers may not need to concern themselves with the particulars but rest assured the artisans that are serious about their craft spend a lot of time exploring the chemistry involved. With a lot of research and experimentation an artisan finds the ideal mix of ingredients and process...then makes it all smell good.

I made two videos that I feel do a decent job of demystifying basic soap making. I made no attempt in these videos to cover the various safety concerns or identify all the potential hazards, I leave that up to you to research. The recipe I used is very basic and allows for plenty of experimentation, and it isn’t a half bad shaving soap. I picked this recipe for two reasons, I started with something similar when I first started AND it is not all that secret...a good magician never reveals his/her secrets.

Part 1 takes a look at a couple of online calculators that will allow you to explore the possibilities and take a lot of the math, science and guesswork out of the process.
https://youtu.be/sI9vI5-IYBk

Part 2 demonstrates the process. A small batch of soap is made in a small kitchen crock pot (one dedicated to soap making) while the camera rolls. Again, no attempt to discuss or demonstrate safety, just showing how things might look in your kitchen.
https://youtu.be/SMvXCHFfmY0

Thanks for posting this Chris. I have no inclination to make my own but am curious from a gaining knowledge aspect. I'll watch these later when I have time. Thanks again

Wow! Awesome videos Chris! I watched part of the first one. I'll get to the rest of it as well as Part II later. I was interested a time ago about making soap...not sure I am interested anymore, but I always appreciate what goes into making a good batch. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for making these! The thought of doing this has crossed my mind, though it’s on the long term to-try list.

Looking forward to watching!

Thanks for making these! The thought of doing this has crossed my mind, though it’s on the long term to-try list.

Looking forward to watching!
Maybe he's got a formula for shave gels
1f61c.png

Thanks for posting these. I look forward to watching them for the knowledge if nothing else. I'd say I'll whip up a batch for the experience, but you may have lost me at "it isn't a half bad shaving soap".

Thanks for posting these. I look forward to watching them for the knowledge if nothing else. I'd say I'll whip up a batch for the experience, but you may have lost me at "it isn't a half bad shaving soap".
That and the magician not telling his secrets which I totally get and understand.

Honestly the batch I made on video is pretty good. It's most appealing characteristic is the relative ease of lathering but it isn't lacking much. Lee from WSP perfected this basic recipe (WSP Rustic) before using it as a launch pad to make the newer tallow version.
The way I see it there are 3 types of soap/soap makers.
1) Those that make mediocre soaps that smell incredible. They smell SO good you use them despite being mediocre
2) Those that make incredible soaps that smell mediocre (or worse). They perform so well you don't care what they smell like
3) Those that make incredible soaps that also smell great. You dig the scent and can't live without the performance.

Honestly the batch I made on video is pretty good. It's most appealing characteristic is the relative ease of lathering but it isn't lacking much. Lee from WSP perfected this basic recipe (WSP Rustic) before using it as a launch pad to make the newer tallow version.
The way I see it there are 3 types of soap/soap makers.
1) Those that make mediocre soaps that smell incredible. They smell SO good you use them despite being mediocre
2) Those that make incredible soaps that smell mediocre (or worse). They perform so well you don't care what they smell like
3) Those that make incredible soaps that also smell great. You dig the scent and can't live without the performance.
Yeah, it's #3 recipe we're looking for. Give us the keys to the Kingdom
1f602.png

I will be 100% honest, I completely skipped the first video. I'll leave the sciency stuff to you guys, but I did like the process video.

Haven't watched these *tutorials* yet but I'm excited to watch the process. Hopefully later today.

Back