The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Straight Razor Learning Series #100-#106 a Comprehensive Tutorial

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
As mentioned in my video of 05.19.2019, beginning on 5.26.2019, we will be posting a series of three videos each week (Sunday-Monday-Tuesday) for two consecutive weeks in an effort to get those brand new straight razor shavers a path for success. the whole series is designed to benefit the Newbie as well and the Veteran Straight shaver. It will be presented in 6 modules (#100-#105) so it can be referred to at any time. Also as time and interest allows we will most futher more advanced modules as needed. Also this will be interactive as all videos will be placed here. Comments, feedback, and assistance for those struggling or need advice will be posted here as well.

*Please Note*

The teachings, techniques, and opinions of this upcoming tutorial are based on that of the Autho, and may not align with any other Straight Razor method, nor share the thoughts and opinions of the other owners of the Shaving Cadre. They are not meant to be the "know all, see all" of straight razor shaving, but rather a path that was taken in over 1200 straight razor shaves. For lack of a better name it could be referred to the "HandleBarberDave's Straight Razor Method" and is grounded from years of advice, blood, trials, tribulations and a honor of the "Chimench" method.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Video Curriculum

SRS #100: 05/26/2019
  1. What kind of razor(s) to purchase and where
  2. The Parts of the straight Razor
  3. How to hold (2 methods)
  4. Two-handed shave methodology
  5. The Strop (you probably have one in you home right now) no need to buy
    1. Stropping technique (slow and steady)
  6. Facial preparation
  7. Lather Preparation
  8. Technique and blade angle
  9. Stroke movement ergonomics (a still blade is a dangerous blade)
  10. Proper skin stretching technique
  11. Your 1st shave WTG DOWN ( one pass straight razor, 2 passes using DE)
  12. Shave Demo
  13. 7-days of practice.
SRS #101: 05.27.2019
  1. Review of #100
  2. The "100" shave threshold
  3. Lathering techniques (bowl vs face as it relates to Straight Razor Shaving)
  4. Review of blade angles and technique
  5. Introduction of ATG UP pass (two passes straight razor, 1 pass using DE)
  6. Shave Demo
  7. 7-days of practice
SRS #102: 05.28.2019
  1. Review of #101
  2. Shaving Journaling or VLOG
  3. Inspecting the blade
  4. Working on Smoothness (being one with the razor)
  5. Introduction of XTG SIDE TO SIDE (all three passes with Straight Razor and clean-up with DE)
  6. Shave Demo
  7. 14-days practice
SRS #103: 06.02.2019
  1. Review of #102
  2. Muscle memory in shaving
  3. Find a Honemeister
  4. Beard Mapping for better shaves
  5. Blade Chatter (what is it?)
  6. How to approach clean-up passes with Straight Razor
  7. Full 3-pass shave and clean-up with DE Razor
  8. Shave Demo
  9. Do I need or want BBS or higher?
  10. Post shave rituals
  11. 14-days practice
SRS #104: 06.03.2019
  1. Review of #103
  2. Introduction to Cross-Face Shaving (no blindspots)
  3. Razor maintenance
  4. A proper strop (what kinds and where to purchase)
  5. Intro to blade sizes, Types of blade points, and grinds (preferences and which is best for you)
  6. Let's talk clean-up methods with a Straight Razor (Blade Buffing, blade holding angles, windshield wiper)
  7. Hyper-facial stretching
  8. Complete 3-pass Cross-face Shave and Straight Razor clean-up
  9. Demo Shave
  10. 14-days practice
SRS #105: 06.04.2019
  1. Review of #104
  2. Cross-Face Shaving Review
  3. Switching up your WTG/ATG/XTG passes to suit your beard
  4. personalization of your shave
  5. Advanced holding ergonomics for a better shave angle of attack
  6. Perfecting your technique
  7. into to DIY honing what to look for and buy (if this is an interest)
  8. Your 1st new or custom razor (what to look for)
  9. Alum usage for fingertips
  10. Another full 3-pass cross face shave and straight razor cleanup with advanced technique
  11. Demo Shave
  12. Closing thoughts
  13. Continued Practice
SRS #106 04.16.2023

1. Buffing
2. Winshield Wiper Buffing
3. Flat-Blading / Flat- Planing

See you on the 26th of May

Last edited:
Hi folks We have decided to publish these videos in separate threads for each Module to allow the conversation to be specific to that video and to answer any questions related for instructional or commented use. SRS. #100 will be uploaded shortly. Please use this thread for general comments and requests for more straight shave related videos

Thanks

After watching your videos for a good 6 months now, I decided to browse the channel list and noticed this tutorial.
It seems to be just what I need. Very informative and newbie-friendly. 👌

I'm having great shaves with my Shavette, but the straight razors I have just don't seem to be able to slice the hairs as well....not even close. That said, I only just started trying them over the past month or two for about 2 shaves a week.

Hopefully, by following this journal, things will get better; because when using my Shavette I find that the results are much less irritating than when I use a DE.

Excellent and reach out if you need any help or if you need any of your razors honed that might be an issue as well

Excellent and reach out if you need any help or if you need any of your razors honed that might be an issue as well
I'm thinking a new edge might just be the issue. Definitely need something sharper.

I know there's a few up here in Canada, so I'll look here first.
Thanks.

And feel free to call me you can PM me for the number or take a video and send it privately and I can look at it and see if there’s anything I see they could to help make the shaves more comfortable I’ll be more than happy to do that for you take care

And feel free to call me you can PM me for the number or take a video and send it privately and I can look at it and see if there’s anything I see they could to help make the shaves more comfortable I’ll be more than happy to do that for you take care
Much appreciated.

As mentioned in my video of 05.19.2019, beginning on 5.26.2019, we will be posting a series of three videos each week (Sunday-Monday-Tuesday) for two consecutive weeks in an effort to get those brand new straight razor shavers a path for success. the whole series is designed to benefit the Newbie as well and the Veteran Straight shaver. It will be presented in 6 modules (#100-#105) so it can be referred to at any time. Also as time and interest allows we will most futher more advanced modules as needed. Also this will be interactive as all videos will be placed here. Comments, feedback, and assistance for those struggling or need advice will be posted here as well.

*Please Note*

The teachings, techniques, and opinions of this upcoming tutorial are based on that of the Autho, and may not align with any other Straight Razor method, nor share the thoughts and opinions of the other owners of the Shaving Cadre. They are not meant to be the "know all, see all" of straight razor shaving, but rather a path that was taken in over 1200 straight razor shaves. For lack of a better name it could be referred to the "HandleBarberDave's Straight Razor Method" and is grounded from years of advice, blood, trials, tribulations and a honor of the "Chimench" method.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Video Curriculum

6. Facial preparation
  7. Lather Preparation
  12. Shave Demo
  13. 7-days of practice.
  1. Review of #100
  6. Shave Demo
  7. 7-days of practice
  1. Review of #101
  3. Inspecting the blade
  5. Introduction of XTG SIDE TO SIDE (all three passes with Straight Razor and clean-up with DE)
  6. Shave Demo
  7. 14-days practice
  1. Review of #102
  3. Find a Honemeister
  8. Shave Demo
  10. Post shave rituals
  11. 14-days practice
  1. Review of #103
  3. Razor maintenance
  5. Intro to blade sizes, Types of blade points, and grinds (preferences and which is best for you)
  6. Let's talk clean-up methods with a Straight Razor (Blade Buffing, blade holding angles, windshield wiper)
  9. Demo Shave
  10. 14-days practice
  1. Review of #104
  10. Another full 3-pass cross face shave and straight razor cleanup with advanced technique
  11. Demo Shave
  12. Closing thoughts
  13. Continued Practice

I’ve watched the first 2 and think you did a Cracker Jack job with this. I’m sure you put in a lot of work and it shows. I’ve been using straights for 6 years now so am not exactly a newbie. However I’m always keen to learn more tricks of the trade from others to improve my straight razor shaving experience. I can’t wait to sit down and watch the remaining videos.

I’ve watched the first 2 and think you did a Cracker Jack job with this. I’m sure you put in a lot of work and it shows. I’ve been using straights for 6 years now so am not exactly a newbie. However I’m always keen to learn more tricks of the trade from others to improve my straight razor shaving experience. I can’t wait to sit down and watch the remaining videos.
Thank you sir

*Please Note*

Video Curriculum

6. Facial preparation
  7. Lather Preparation
  12. Shave Demo
  13. 7-days of practice.
  1. Review of #100
  6. Shave Demo
  7. 7-days of practice
  1. Review of #101
  3. Inspecting the blade
  6. Shave Demo
  7. 14-days practice
  1. Review of #102
  3. Find a Honemeister
  8. Shave Demo
  10. Post shave rituals
  11. 14-days practice
  1. Review of #103
  3. Razor maintenance
  9. Demo Shave
  10. 14-days practice
  1. Review of #104
  11. Demo Shave
  12. Closing thoughts
  13. Continued Practice

Are the videos viewable here, or only on your YouTube channel? Please forgive if you've already answered or explained. Thanks. Oh wait, I found them.

updated 4.16.2023
All are located here or on youtube on my Channel and under a playlist named
Straight Razor Learning Series #100-106

Back