The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Badger Shampoo Day

Granite.Glasser

Shave Member
I very THOROUGHLY rinse and rinse and rinse my shave brushes after EVERY use. But to this date, I have NEVER given them a proper shampooing! Today changed all that!!! I gave my entire collection (all 5 of them) a good shampooing. My oh my did they ever come out NICE! I've been noticing lately that they just have not been building lather or feeling as dense and soft as they used to. After a gentle but thorough shampoo and a super rinse, they are all bloomed out, full of backbone, and soft as soft can be! I am most certainly going to add a badger shampoo day to my shaving brush maintenence routine every so often. What is your brush maintenance routine?

All are Simpson's. From left to right:
Tulip 2 Super Badger, 56 Best Badger, Milk Churn Best Badger, Wee Scot Best Badger (thanks again @Spider), and my vintage "Butterscotch" Bakelite Keyhole 2 Best Badger (re-knotted by Simpson's with a new Best Badger knot).
20210227_145752_(1).jpg

I just started using badger brushes very recently, so I hadn't even yet thought about this. On the next week or so, I'll now have 4 badger Brushes (hopefully). This sounds like a good idea.

With me shaving every other day and the badgers not getting into every one of those, I can probably do a yearly washing? Im completely guessing here. Good idea, though.

Some advice given to me by a member of a different forum:
“I recommend a two step process (overkill). Soak in 1/4 white vinegar, 3/4 warm water solution for 10 minutes and gently agitate the brush, rinse well. Soak in Dawn dish soap in warm water for 10 minutes, gently agitate the brush, rinse well. This should kill any bacteria remaining in the brush. I do this every month or two to clean my brushes. Seems to work well.”
I have only tried this process for an initial sterilization when I buy a brush used from somebody off of a BST forum, but it made me feel more comfortable with the used brush.

Back