The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Background music

NurseDave

“Stefan’s Glitterbomb King”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
I got nailed by YouTube for copyrighted music in the background when I shot video in a store. If I want music in the background of a video, is there a way to know before hand if it'll cause a violation? I've heard some guy with music playing in another room. I don't know if they know it's safe or it's just quiet enough that it's not picked up by the happy police.

Probably in the rules somewhere if you read them 🤪 ;) Harder for you now as you are on the "Member in Trouble" list by now :ROFLMAO:

I was just wondering where some of you guys are finding music and why it's not getting flagged by YouTube. YouTube is getting stricter all the time, and there are also trolls who's job it is to find music or other copyright violations and report them. In some areas it's becoming pretty controversial, but I don't think many eyes are on the cadre.

Basically anything can be hit now that isn't specifically marked as free use, and even then sometimes it gets hit.

For sure stay away from any major label stuff from any time period.

I never understood how folks can make their own music videos or lyric videos of popular songs and that's perfectly fine..... but then you get nailed for having the same song as background music. I mean, people wont be coming to my page just for the song.... so there's no benefit to me. But folks wanting to listen to the song will go to the other people's pages, who could be taking away form the artist, whatever that means. It just makes no sense....

I never understood how folks can make their own music videos or lyric videos of popular songs and that's perfectly fine..... but then you get nailed for having the same song as background music. I mean, people wont be coming to my page just for the song.... so there's no benefit to me. But folks wanting to listen to the song will go to the other people's pages, who could be taking away form the artist, whatever that means. It just makes no sense....
That's the same thing that came to my mind KJ. I did learn that there are exceptions to copyright laws that seem allow parody but so many of the videos that become popular are not quite parody. A lipsync challenge can go viral while Dave gets slapped for the background noise in his video....huh? My guess is the first line of defense is a computer algorithm listening for certain songs. I assume some artist are more aggressive in protecting their property and have supplied youtube with comparative content to youtube can screen for copyright violations. I had a video of my daughter's cheer squad performing at knotts berry farm that got blocked from public view and sharing because the song was recognized by the computers, I was however able to upload that video as a private video that was only viewable with a link. Until it was shared I was left alone.

While its confusing how youtube decides what to flag I think its pretty cool when technology can catch something as innocuous as background music present in a video. Maybe a little disturbing too ...but that's what foil hats are for.

Right Chris, they use computer algorithms to find music against their data base. They can't really tell if it's background music or not so it all gets flag.

Then the music companies themselves have also started finding and reporting, in that case, often the video will actually stay up, but all monetization goes to the record company not the video maker. Iirc Youtube will allow a certain number of such strikes before bringing a channel down.
That's been causing quite a stir because often videos are hit for 3 seconds in a 30 minute piece. And now there are more and more frequent false reports going on, which in some cases have brought down some large channels in their niche.

I was just wondering where some of you guys are finding music and why it's not getting flagged by YouTube. YouTube is getting stricter all the time, and there are also trolls who's job it is to find music or other copyright violations and report them. In some areas it's becoming pretty controversial, but I don't think many eyes are on the cadre.

Basically anything can be hit now that isn't specifically marked as free use, and even then sometimes it gets hit.

For sure stay away from any major label stuff from any time period.
There is free music options you can pick within youtube.

If I am uploading it to YouTube...then I will always use music found in YouTube. They have a pretty good database and I have actually found some music that I really like. Side note, there was some music I used for a few of my videos. I was on a trip for work and streaming YouoTube stuff on my phone to listen to. An ad came up and it used that same song. I thought it was pretty interesting.

If I am uploading it to YouTube...then I will always use music found in YouTube. They have a pretty good database and I have actually found some music that I really like. Side note, there was some music I used for a few of my videos. I was on a trip for work and streaming YouoTube stuff on my phone to listen to. An ad came up and it used that same song. I thought it was pretty interesting.
For the video that ended up being silent, I looked for the tracks on the YouTube editor but none of them were long enough and you could only use one.

But mostly I would like to play music live in the room and not just add it later.

For the video that ended up being silent, I looked for the tracks on the YouTube editor but none of them were long enough and you could only use one.

But mostly I would like to play music live in the room and not just add it later.
Understand. I was more trying to answer @HMan 's question. But yeah...I get you! I have thought about playing music while shaving...but it just seems that you can't upload it to YouTube then. Not sure how you edit you videos. But for music that isn't as long as your video...you could always loop the song. I've done that a couple of times.

There is plenty of Free attribution music out there, and a copywrite strike is not always a bad thing, some will have it removed some if not most will allow but the artist will be allowed to advertise on you video and they get the money. If you have a YouTube Page go to Video Manager and then on the left side you will see create. There you will have a whole library of Attribution Free music, of which all can be downloaded onto your hardrive, you may have to include an attribution note on or in the description of the video. Barring that there, again are a ton sites. Last week I was playing Pink Floyd in and entirely different room at the back of the house and the computer picked it up and Boom Copywrite strike, but as long as the owner of the song allows it and they advertise on your video it is not a black mark on your youtube account

Danosongs.com
Kevin MacLeod
audionautix
bensound
epidemicsound

and many more just search " Attribution Free Music"

Just so everyone is aware, I just noticed 3 of my videos have copyright claims on them(not a strike at least). The music i have been using has been through the Power Director App so it would seem that what they provide is not necessarily Attribution free. I will be looking up some new tunes i guess.

Just so everyone is aware, I just noticed 3 of my videos have copyright claims on them(not a strike at least). The music i have been using has been through the Power Director App so it would seem that what they provide is not necessarily Attribution free. I will be looking up some new tunes i guess.

It's getting to be more and more of a problem, your music very well may be ok for you to use, but anyone can make a claim anyway, and there's nothing you can do about it.

It's getting to be more and more of a problem, your music very well may be ok for you to use, but anyone can make a claim anyway, and there's nothing you can do about it.
the part that drives me nuts is that they can take my videos, which i'm not allowed to monetize because my channel is to small, and they can monetize those videos. It makes no sense to me as to how they can do that.

Back