The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

AoS switching from badger to synthetic....

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Anyone heard this yet?

This caused me to search for a video, which I will not post here. But if you search youtube for Badger Treatment China, it will pop right up. Granted, this is one video, and may not be the whole story, but It definitely will have me giving pause the next time I consider a badger brush. I tend to favor synthetics anyway.

Last edited:
Likely what happened is that AoS found a way or realized they could probably make more money selling synthetic brushes and used the treatment of animals as an excuse to make the switch.

Certainly pause for thought as I tend to prefer synthetic as well even though I have several badgers. Video I saw left me feeling ill inside.......................I know they used the badger and more than only it's fur but why the way they did it........

I remember this a while back, perhaps more toward the beginning of the year I think; not AOS specifically, but PETA and Chinese badger hair issues. Between the treatment and tariffs on Chinese products, it seemed pretty major for a while. It all quickly went silent, haven’t seen anything major come out of it.

The date on the websites looks like it's from Sept. last year. I have one AoS badger brush. Sheds like my old lab did.

The date on the websites looks like it's from Sept. last year.
Oh Snap! I saw Sept 19, and thought that was the year. I read the article and thought it was recent. My Bad.

I exclusively use synthetic brushes. Not because of this, particularly.

Of course, after seeing that video I'm happy that I do.

There is no reason to use badger or boar anymore. Synths are far superior, but since the fibers are made from dead dinosaurs, it’s a bit of a wash.

There is no reason to use badger or boar anymore. Synths are far superior, but since the fibers are made from dead dinosaurs, it’s a bit of a wash.
Dinosaurs?? Like Barney the dinosaur? Maybe that's that why my yaqi purple haze is in fact purple?

Don’t believe the hype....

Thanks for the informative video.

So... My brush is actually a SpongeBob character. Not feeling much better about that. Lol.
550e8913e27a6851b071113dbe4fd765.jpg

Back