The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Anyone into reloading?

The Monkey

"I See the Good in Every Shave"
Legacy
I have just got a revolver (Ruger lcr 357mag). In this crazy time Ammo is hard to find but I did find a few boxes. I also got my hands on a Lee reloading kit. I'm interested in giving it a go.
Any tips? Is it even worth it? All I have to find are primers and I'm good to go...I think.

Haven't done it myself but my understanding is its is more cost effective long term, and you can customize your powder load for your preferences.

The only thing I’ve reloaded are shotgun shells but my scoutmaster (the same guy that showed me how to reload my 12g shells) did a variety of brass reloads. Ultimately I found it more cost efficient and safer to buy pallets of shells from out of state a d have them shipped in ...until that became illegal. The only, and most important, advice I can give is to create a dedicated space, make a routine and when you are reloading make it a rule that you are ONLY reloading...no visitors, no podcasts and no forums.

If you have a local brick and mortar gun shop or shooting range, I’ve found (at least around here) most of the old-timer “regulars” are pretty helpful with tips and knowledge. May want to put the feelers out in the congregation too to see if anyone hunts.

Weird I owned a few guns. But lost them all in a boating accident. Shame really.

What's the worse that can happen?
You could be loading light match loads of 3.5 grains with a really light flaky powder and a powder thrower that happens to throw an extra light load. Then when shooting a competition that light round happens to be the first of two in a double tap. When you are averaging about 2 tenths of a second split times between shots, you have already pulled the trigger again by the time it registers that the first shot didn't sound right.

The result could be that the first round had just enough power to cycle the pistol yet only push the bullet half way down the barrel. The second round may have pushed it through so that both hit the paper, but left a large swell in the barrel at the point they collided forcing you to purchase a new $250 barrel.

It could have been much worse so be thankful all 9 1/2 fingers are still there, but take it as a hard lesson to ALWAYS check your cases to make sure the powder shot is right before loading and seating the bullet.

It isn't a bad thing overall. As far as saving money I really couldn't tell you as I am not up on the prices of supplies. Judging that a $9 box of 9mm is now in the $30-$40 range, I'd say it definitely has the potential to be cheaper. I know I saved a bit back when I was loading, but I was also going through between 300 and 500 rounds each weekend training.
I could also play with my loads and make them work better for what I was doing. I kept lighter loads with heavier bullets in my handguns to give my recoil a snap instead of a jump allowing for faster followup, and I loaded for my rifle where I could sight at 50 yards, be an inch high at 100, back on at 150, and an inch low at 200. That same load could also shoot a quarter of an inch grouping at 200 yards off a bipod if I was doing my part.

It takes a little time to do, but not a bad way to spend a few winter evenings. I had a hand primer I would use and sit and watch tv while priming a bunch of cases.

I reloaded shot gun shells years ago and when i started it was cheaper to reload than buy. Fast forward a couple years and due to the increasing cost of shot and powder and the lower cost of a flat of shells it became a wash and i could buy for the same or less than reloading. Having said all that, i really enjoyed reloading and took pride in shooting a round of Trap and beating my buddy with loads that i created myself. I have no idea what the cost of components are these days so I'm not sure about which is cheaper today.

Back