The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Any Metal Detector Junkies Out There?

Always wanted to. My grandma bought me one from a pawn shop once, but it didn’t work. I think it’s be really fun. Especially to just see what’s hidden on my property.

I have a nice one (a Garret), have had it for quite some time. Alas, I am prohibited from using it while in the company of my wife...or for that matter while she is alive. I guess it makes me look old or something. So I get my metal detecting kicks by tossing my wife’s Jewlery on the shag throw rug and looking for it with my eyes closed. It’s still pretty hard to do, the beeping sound and her yelling at me all get pretty distracting. The vacuum usually finds what I can’t.

I'm super excited about what I might find. The property my cabin is on was farmed from the early 1800's through the 1940's. I also have part of the Catskill Turnpike on my property which was a stage coach route from the 1800's on and was a footpath west in the late 1700's. The Indian path is right above the Turnpike too. A great possibility of finding some old stuff. I'll post on here my finds, but right now there's 3 feet of snow covering everything up!

I'm super excited about what I might find. The property my cabin is on was farmed from the early 1800's through the 1940's. I also have part of the Catskill Turnpike on my property which was a stage coach route from the 1800's on and was a footpath west in the late 1700's. The Indian path is right above the Turnpike too. A great possibility of finding some old stuff. I'll post on here my finds, but right now there's 3 feet of snow covering everything up!
The coolest thing I found was a cable buried in the sand at the beach...a big big cable. And a bunch of tacs In our grass where my wife’s gold ring SHOULD be. Seems she dropped the box of tacs when putting up some sort of paper banners for a party...lost the ring with 3 diamonds while washing the van. SHE cried when she lost the ring...I cried when I found nothing but tacs. Seriously, right out of a flipping cartoon. Then she tells me the ring MIGHT have fallen off in the bucket she dumped over the van, which meant the ring could have been on the van and fell off on the road. Guess what? I bought a new ring and put the metal detector back in the closet. A bunch of tacs and a cable at the beach will break a mans spirit real quick. (As quick as Jewelry left in the rug breaks the vacuum) but I’ll bet finding stuff around your cabin will be cool.

A bunch of tacs and a cable at the beach will break a mans spirit real quick
Yeah, you find much more trash than good stuff for sure. I have no expectations of finding anything super valuable. I look for arrowheads in plowed fields and pick up flakes of flint so I'm really used to swings and misses until you find something decent. I have some Indian sites I find artifacts on that I'm super looking forward to running the metal detector on. I'm kind of a history buff, so finding old stuff is just fun and studying old maps to find the old house locations is just part of the excitement. I was studying an old map of behind my parents' house and didn't realize a path we walked on hunting was actually an old road in 1847. Wherever people are, there are lost coins and things. I'll have a lot of fun just finding things on my own property for a long while. I tend to be a glass half full guy, so when I'm finding just foil and bottle caps I'll be thinking that maybe just ahead is that old coin. What model Garrett do you have?

i have the ProFormance Ace 250. It was highly recommend by the local gold diggers (prospectors) club as a good starter detector. Not hard to use but it does take some patience.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back