The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Any Mattress recommendations?

uacowboy

"The Minuteman"
Concierge Emeritus
Hobbyist
So like the title says, looking for any recommendations/reviews of mattresses. It is time for us to replace ours and we are especially curious if anyone here may have tried one of those mail order type mattresses that are all over the internet now like Casper and Purple.

Our current mattress is a Tempur-pedic.

I know @GearNoir did some research a while back I want to say that he was looking at the Casper. Might want to reach out to him.

Mattresses are so individualized because we all have preferences. The wife and I bought a Novaform Memory Foam from Costco back in 2016. It is still going strong and is my favorite mattress I have had to date (over some cheap and expensive traditional mattresses and maybe...I'll deny it if you ask me...but maybe even a waterbed...but seriously I think one of the mattresses was a Stearns and Foster ). If you go memory foam route, I would go with the thicker option. I think Novaform at the time had a 10 inch, 12 inch, and 14 inch. Everything I read was that the 10 and 12 inche beds don't last as long. Also, if you have never had a memory foam mattress you will need some time to get used to it. I felt like I was sleeping on a rock for about a week. My hips even ached a bit (of course I wonder if that was the mattress or just my poor health in general at the time). But after about a week, I started to sleep like a baby and now I am not sure I would get another mattress. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Yeah, we are looking to get something a bit softer than our current memory foam, it has lasted us 10 years though. One of the big things i'm looking for is something that won't trap the heat in to much.

Ah, I was going to recommend the Nectar. It is the only one, I think, with a 365 night sleep trial. Ours is amazing. And if you don't like it they will pick it back up and donate it, full refund.

U RKPORQ SOP

Yeah, we are looking to get something a bit softer than our current memory foam, it has lasted us 10 years though. One of the big things i'm looking for is something that won't trap the heat in to much.
I think a lot of the newer memory foam mattresses have some kind of cooling technology. But you do live in Arizona, so I get your point. So then...waterbed?

We went with Nectar too. Their year long money back guarantee is too good not to give it a go. It’s the first memory foam mattress we’ve ever had, so I can’t say if it sleeps warmer than others or not. It took at least a week if not more to get used to the extra warmth coming from a spring mattress though. Now I don’t give it a second thought for the most part. For me it was better than what we had but the missus liked it, so we kept it.

Now I know. It seems counter intuitive to buy a "cheap" mattress. But when it come from mail order mattress in a box my research led me to believe they are pretty much all the same with a few outliers. So we actually bought a Zinus and I'll be honest my expectation was like we might get three years out of it, and then at that time we could decide to we like that style? Or are we going back to traditional pillow top thing a ma jig. 4 years later the Zinus is running strong and we love it. Lots of different options too. We did one that has some coils to help the memory stuff feel more natural. It doesn't hold heat and I would buy from them again.

Closest that they have to what they use on the Disney cruise ships now :D

At my age, I believe the next mattress will be my death bed.
giphy.gif

bibRC6f.gif

Last edited:
I bought a casper from costco last year. Enjoy it, but my wife picked up an inbelievable mattress for my kids at ikea a bit earlier. Holy crap. Its amazing. It was unexpected.

I have friends who love the purple and sleepnumber.

I can't stand memory foam. Too hot and impossible to move about in. Got a bedinabox latex/innerspring hybrid with latex topper from Lumasleep and could not be happier.
It feels like a good old fashioned traditional bed, with a little extra wobble from the latex. Sleeps cooler than foam too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Back