The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Any Custom PC, Gaming, or Keyboard Enthusiasts?

Okay so I searched for any threads on this topic and didn't see anything. Not that I haven't done that and failed before...šŸ˜

Any computer enthusiasts? I've been a building computers and keyboards since I was a wee lad and have recently gotten back in to it. I've built myself a mini-itx build. Show me your PCs, gaming setups, custom keyboards, etc!

Case - Louque Ghost S1
Motherboard - Asus Rog Strix B-450I
Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Graphics Card - PowerColor RedDragon 5700
Water Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52. Swapped out the stock fans for some Noctuas.
RAM - G.SKill 16gb 3200
ROM - 2 Inland Premium 1tb NVME drives
Power Supply - Corsair SF600
Custom cables from pslate.com

20200405_123614.jpg
20200405_123751.jpg

20200507_193459.jpg

I built my current PC several years ago as a budget gaming pc. I have updated the graphics a couple times but even that has been a few years. the fast majority of my gaming has become mobile, which is fun, but i miss pc gaming for sure. just don't have much time for it anymore.

Mine is pretty pathetic.
AMD FX 6300 3.5GHz 6 core processor
8 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750TI 2GB video card
I believe a 640W power supply

I had it built by cyberpower and can't recall the motherboard that was used. I had it built with liquid cooling, but it quit in me and almost burned up my processor. Had it replaced and just went with a heat sync and fan this time.

I said it's pathetic, but I can actually run Skyrim with a full ENB, custom skeletons, 4k skin textures, 2k landscapes, lighting mods, HDT physics on bodies and outfits, way more scripted mods than I should have, and still run a pretty consistent 30- 35 fps.

I built my current PC several years ago as a budget gaming pc. I have updated the graphics a couple times but even that has been a few years. the fast majority of my gaming has become mobile, which is fun, but i miss pc gaming for sure. just don't have much time for it anymore.

I hear that. I've had this computer since January and I've played maybe 2 hrs. lol

Mine is pretty pathetic.
AMD FX 6300 3.5GHz 6 core processor
8 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750TI 2GB video card
I believe a 640W power supply

I had it built by cyberpower and can't recall the motherboard that was used. I had it built with liquid cooling, but it quit in me and almost burned up my processor. Had it replaced and just went with a heat sync and fan this time.

I said it's pathetic, but I can actually run Skyrim with a full ENB, custom skeletons, 4k skin textures, 2k landscapes, lighting mods, HDT physics on bodies and outfits, way more scripted mods than I should have, and still run a pretty consistent 30- 35 fps.

Wow, that's crazy! You're pushing that PC to the limit! šŸ¤£ Does it get hot?

Wow, that's crazy! You're pushing that PC to the limit! šŸ¤£ Does it get hot?
To be fair, it is the original skyrim, not the remastered. So it is on a 32 bit system instead of the 64. Since it's only using 2Gb of ram for the game, I have my .ini edited to utilize some of the rest to help out the video card.
Some of the higher end ENBs are beyond what I can run also. My favorite one drops me to about 9 fps, so I don't use that one.
The last time I monitored it was just after getting the liquid cooler removed and the heat sync put in. It was staying fairly decent on temps. I've got 4 other fans going in the case besides the cpu, power supply, and the 2 on the video card though.

Here is some of what my game looks like.

20160819172945_1.jpg

20180101222615_1.jpg

20161215180107_1.jpg

To be fair, it is the original skyrim, not the remastered. So it is on a 32 bit system instead of the 64. Since it's only using 2Gb of ram for the game, I have my .ini edited to utilize some of the rest to help out the video card.
Some of the higher end ENBs are beyond what I can run also. My favorite one drops me to about 9 fps, so I don't use that one.
The last time I monitored it was just after getting the liquid cooler removed and the heat sync put in. It was staying fairly decent on temps. I've got 4 other fans going in the case besides the cpu, power supply, and the 2 on the video card though.

Here is some of what my game looks like.

View attachment 23436

View attachment 23437

View attachment 23438

Very cool. I've never played Skyrim. I'll have to check it out.

I donā€™t KNOW what Iā€™m doing when it comes to computers these days but there was a time 20 years ago I managed a laboratory and knew enough about computers and networking to cobble together an interface between two very old systems and build a parallel-backup system that was used when the regular hospital lab system went down (which was often) and was designed to operate on a computer that thought it was a decade earlier on New Years 2000 ...just in case the world came to an end. I took a nap the morning after the Y2K frenzy was over and everything about computing changed, now itā€™s like I donā€™t know anything...but I still know the magic tech trick. ā€œ please power down, unplug wait for 10 seconds (or Longer) then restore power and restartā€ if youā€™ve been good this year the tech gods will be kind and reward you will a functioning system for the remainder of your shift.

All of that said, I recall reading something recently about the AMD Ryzan professor being both amazing and the worst thing ever. I guess when it was first released it had some bugs in the BIOS that needed to be worked out so people that bought early machines with it that didnā€™t get updates done were left with bricks. Seeing you choose the Ryzan processor means they must truly be wonderful.

I was just telling @BarberDave and @Cvargo how I am still nursing my old 2012 laptop along because I donā€™t want to give up Windows 8 for Windows 10 or whatever is being run right Now. Itā€™s not that I LOVE windows 8 but I do hate change (and having worked with w10 on the few computers I got for my kids I donā€™t like it). I also have all my programs installed, as in RESIDENT ON THE HARD DRIVE on my computer without subscription, which is a vintage concept these days. I am just now getting around to maxing out the RAM, I was running 12gb but Iā€™ve ordered two 8gb sticks so I will have 16gb ...WOW! I am currently running an 3rd generation i3 processor (details escape me at the moment) but Iā€™ve ordered a compatible 3rd generation i7 that has slightly better stats. All in the RAM and processor upgrade cost less than $200, if I wanted to add a solid state drivefor the speed trifecta I could still be under $300(doing it all on the cheap side knowing itā€™s a low end machine to begin with).

I am worried however that my attempt to replace the processor with result in a BIOS problem. I canā€™t find any BIOS updates that reference the i7 OR the actual version Iā€™m running now so itā€™s either going to work or itā€™s not.

I donā€™t KNOW what Iā€™m doing when it comes to computers these days but there was a time 20 years ago I managed a laboratory and knew enough about computers and networking to cobble together an interface between two very old systems and build a parallel-backup system that was used when the regular hospital lab system went down (which was often) and was designed to operate on a computer that thought it was a decade earlier on New Years 2000 ...just in case the world came to an end. I took a nap the morning after the Y2K frenzy was over and everything about computing changed, now itā€™s like I donā€™t know anything...but I still know the magic tech trick. ā€œ please power down, unplug wait for 10 seconds (or Longer) then restore power and restartā€ if youā€™ve been good this year the tech gods will be kind and reward you will a functioning system for the remainder of your shift.

All of that said, I recall reading something recently about the AMD Ryzan professor being both amazing and the worst thing ever. I guess when it was first released it had some bugs in the BIOS that needed to be worked out so people that bought early machines with it that didnā€™t get updates done were left with bricks. Seeing you choose the Ryzan processor means they must truly be wonderful.

I was just telling @BarberDave and @Cvargo how I am still nursing my old 2012 laptop along because I donā€™t want to give up Windows 8 for Windows 10 or whatever is being run right Now. Itā€™s not that I LOVE windows 8 but I do hate change (and having worked with w10 on the few computers I got for my kids I donā€™t like it). I also have all my programs installed, as in RESIDENT ON THE HARD DRIVE on my computer without subscription, which is a vintage concept these days. I am just now getting around to maxing out the RAM, I was running 12gb but Iā€™ve ordered two 8gb sticks so I will have 16gb ...WOW! I am currently running an 3rd generation i3 processor (details escape me at the moment) but Iā€™ve ordered a compatible 3rd generation i7 that has slightly better stats. All in the RAM and processor upgrade cost less than $200, if I wanted to add a solid state drivefor the speed trifecta I could still be under $300(doing it all on the cheap side knowing itā€™s a low end machine to begin with).

I am worried however that my attempt to replace the processor with result in a BIOS problem. I canā€™t find any BIOS updates that reference the i7 OR the actual version Iā€™m running now so itā€™s either going to work or itā€™s not.

I too was in to networking around 20 years ago. I never really worked in the field though.

The Ryzen seems to have surpassed the Intel in popularity. They're a much better value. After using an I5 for a few years, I just don't see going back after using the Ryzen.

It's always a pain to upgrade your operating system for sure. lol

Back