The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Antique razors with the word "damascus" etched/engraved on them

jbro44

Shave Newbie
I have been restoring old straight razors for the last year or so and I have bought a couple of 19th century razors that have "damascus" etched or engraved on the blade face. I'm holding a Joseph Elliott right now that says "Best Silver Steel" on the tang and "Damascus Hollow" on the blade. I have a suspicion that it means nothing, but I don't understand what the intention was. These blades do not show a damascus-like pattern. I even tried immersing one in hydrochloric acid but it simply changed color slightly, and uniformly, and got a bit cleaner (I have zero experience etching damascus steel so this test was not scientific...perhaps the acid would have been too undiluted to differentially darken it). Do you think they'd have used the word "damascus" in the late 19th century as a generic way of saying "super, supremo, excellent steel"?

Do you think they'd have used the word "damascus" in the late 19th century as a generic way of saying "super, supremo, excellent steel"?
Unfortunately, it’s all 19th century marketing at its best of the famous steel of middle eastern royals and crusaders of the Middle Ages. I’ve never seen a true vintage Damascus straight razor, the closest I’ve seen is the way some Japanese kamisori razors are built, buy sandwiching the good metal in less expensive metal. I’ve owned several Vintage “Damascus” razors, but they are all the same as the others. The legend of the terrifyingly sharp and extremely thin and strong Damascus steel has been around for centuries and sadly even the mystery of how it was made was long ago lost to history. I’m certain this legendary steel would have leant some credibility through marketing by to these 19th century razor makers.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum! I too enjoy restoring vintage razors, it’s kind of my “thing!”

Matt

Thanks, Matt! There is so much quaint B.S. through the ages and 21st century marketing is probably no better or worse. But I suppose the cutlers back then could not have foreseen how literally and seriously the word "damascus" would be taken in later years.
I read a great article about a couple of guys who are pretty sure they've figured out how true Damascus steel was made. I don't know if this is old news, controversial, or what, but it's great reading and it's very persuasive:

Thanks, Matt! There is so much quaint B.S. through the ages and 21st century marketing is probably no better or worse. But I suppose the cutlers back then could not have foreseen how literally and seriously the word "damascus" would be taken in later years.
I read a great article about a couple of guys who are pretty sure they've figured out how true Damascus steel was made. I don't know if this is old news, controversial, or what, but it's great reading and it's very persuasive:
I’ll have to check it out! I remember watching a documentary on rediscovering wootz steel at some point, I wonder if this article will discuss this. Well I’d better read it to find out. Thanks!

@jbro44 what a fantastic article, after reading it I’m certain at some point I watched a full documentary on these men and how they did this. They found it with a lot of trial and error and WORK! Thanks again for sharing this!

Last edited:
Back