The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

An "Old Man" Summer.

MarkB

“TSC’s Happy Hogan”
Veteran
Need help guys.. My summer frag selection needs help. Basically all I have that are (what I would consider) "Summer" frags are...

Acqua Di Parma Colonia
Czech & Speake Cuba
Stirling Island Man (also a sample of Creed's Virgin Island Water)

What would be your suggestions for a mature (Old Man) summer time frag?

giphy.gif

Guerlain Vetiver (may feel a bit heavy for some folks for warmer weather, I don’t mind it though) or Vetiver Extreme for a bit of a lighter and woody riff on the original.

Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee is a great mojito-like green scent

Royall has some good stuff too (Lime for instance).

@GearNoir made a couple of good suggestions in his post. This topic is a tough one because I have always believed that a man or a woman as well also, can put on whatever they please. Scents are an emotion that gives one an image or more importantly transports you to a place or a time that holds a very important mark in one's life experiences. Mind you, not every single scent does that for a particular individual but, there is no doubt that, for nearly all of us, a fragrance imparts a journey that involves every facet of a human beings emotional & mental aptitude. I've always believed that if you smelled it and liked it regardless of age from 18 to 88, wear it the hell out. Don't limit yourself because of an age barrier or social distinction clauses. Fragrances believe it or not are not just attached to our emotions or mental states while wearing them but, a scent can evoke status, authority, command presence, peacefulness, calm, sensuality and vigor. The world of fragrances is unto a universe all into it's own.

Sorry about that and going into that little diatribe there, my apologies. To get back on topic and to your point on what would be a good "old man" scent, I'll give you a few suggestions that I personally think will fit the bill of age awareness while still thumbing your nose at everyone else because you can.... 😉

Summer selections that are easily available & relatively affordable.

1. Guerlain: Habit Rouge L'Eau. A fresher version of the OG that has a few modern ingredients to make it a bit more contemporary while still retaining a bit of that old world aura of class that Habit Rouge is known for. Not the biggest performer on projection except for the first hour but, it will linger with you for most of the day and those that catch a whiff will get a little closer. Great juice for a social gathering.

2. Giorgio Armani: Acqua Di Gio Profumo. Contemporary and yet timeless. Clean, soft citrus (bergamot) marine like and a light twist of a subtle dark incense & a dirty patchouli (a good dirty way) that exudes masculinity and class. It's so good, that this can be a signature scent year round and it would work to perfection. Dress it up or down, when a nose catches a whiff of this, they'll know there's a man amongst them. Trust me.

3. Givenchy: Gentlemen Cologne. It's a cologne concentration so, don't expect performance like the first two especially the ADG Profumo but, thnis is a true gentleman vibe juice that exudes a well put together man with a clean freshness that is green, citrus with petitgrain on top. The mid carries iris, vetiver and dries down into a soft rosemary and slightly sweet muskiness. Go heavy on the sprayer as this will not offend a single soul. You'll get about 4-5 hours of duration at best. But, you'll smell wonderfully good for that time.

For a few $$$ more (well over the $100 mark) these are ones that I'd have one consider as well for the warmer days.

1. Creed: Aventus & Green Irish Tweed. What hasn't been said about these 2? All Man and so darn good. You can't go wrong with either one honestly. Alternatives to these two on a budget? Aventus clone: Club de Nuit intense Parfum, not the edt. It's smoother and not as obnoxious in the first 15 minutes. Great sillage and duration for 1/10 the cost of Aventus. GIT clone: Al Haramain L' Aventure Knight. A little more lemony than Tweed but, you're 90% there with decent performance and again, cost is well under $50.

2. Nishane: Hacivat. Think Aventus but slightly greener and exceptionally smooth. Maybe even smoother. And this is a beast mode performer. This can and will fill a room if your not easy on the sprayer. The scent trail though will make the ladies weak at the knees. Awesome and my favorite for important social events (weddings, family gatherings etc...).

3. Tom Ford. Tom Ford for Men edt. No list would be complete without a TF elixir in the mix. This juice is so underrated that it's verging on criminal. Ginger, tobacco, lemon leaf, mandarin, some other citruses with cedar, amber, patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss & light leather. Are you freakin kidding me? If that isn't man, I don't know what man is then. But, don't fear the list of ingredients as the blending is done so, so well it's nearly a masterpiece and to me it is and actually is signature scent worthy year round as well. I'd recommend the TF for Men Extreme but, that is nearly impossible to find (discontinued sadly) and prices are crazy like $400+ for a 50ml bottle. The edt is much more attainable for under $120 and if you look around on the auction sites with the good vendors, I've seen them around $70-$80 for a 100ml. bottle. Snatch one if you can it will not disappoint.

There are a lot more out there that can certainly compare & compete with the ones stated above but, these are the ones that have endeared me to a specific moment or occasion in time that will be forever be mainstays in my collection.

Good luck and happy smelling.....

Last edited:
Some other designer classics are

- Davidoff Cool Water
- Dior Eau Sauvage
- Guerlain l'Home Ideal
- Armani Acqua di Gio

Some niche that I like for summer

Parle Moi de Parfum - Woody Perfecto
Parel Moi de Parfum - Tomboy Neroli
Comme Des Garcons - Amazing Green

Do you have any particular type of scent you're looking for? Even old men can wear newer stuff, it's not all just Axe out there, but you know that.

Do you have any particular type of scent you're looking for? Even old men can wear newer stuff, it's not all just Axe out there, but you know that.
Well when I think summer I think lighter, citrus forward type scents.

Maybe some “oceanic” notes. Problem is, most of the modern frags I’ve checked out (dept. store / designer house type frags) all smell the same

Well when I think summer I think lighter, citrus forward type scents.

Maybe some “oceanic” notes. Problem is, most of the modern frags I’ve checked out (dept. store / designer house type frags) all smell the same
Oh man, isn't that the truth! It's a big criticism of modern frags, I think the corner might just be starting to be rounded now, with Hermes new H24 release for example. How many variants on the same smell do you need? I'm with you variety is the spice of life.

Did you take to OM right away, or find it to be more of an acquired taste?
Oh I love it. I don't remember if I had a sample somehow or tried it in the store, but I wouldn't have gotten it is it was a maybe.

Oh I love it. I don't remember if I had a sample somehow or tried it in the store, but I wouldn't have gotten it is it was a maybe.
Oh I just mean I remember the first time I tried it, it was awful, my nose wasn’t ready. I actually tried to wash it off. By the time it dried down I started to love it though.
It was just when I was getting into fragrances.

I think @GearNoir said something about not liking it right away too. So just curious.

I think @GearNoir said something about not liking it right away too. So just curious.
The initial blasts of the Tom Ford frags I’ve tried can be fairly intense and off-putting at first. Those dry downs though can be solid gold.

Oud Minerale got me hooked on TF frags (there are still quite a number I don’t like mind you). It is one that can have an overwhelming initial spray. It lasts forever on my skin though and mellows out to this gloriously deep, rich, dry drift wood, sea salt, and oud. So good! I’m sad it’s discontinued.

The initial blasts of the Tom Ford frags I’ve tried can be fairly intense and off-putting at first. Those dry downs though can be solid gold.

Oud Minerale got me hooked on TF frags (there are still quite a number I don’t like mind you). It is one that can have an overwhelming initial spray. It lasts forever on my skin though and mellows out to this gloriously deep, rich, dry drift wood, sea salt, and oud. So good! I’m sad it’s discontinued.
Discontinued for real? That’s a shame.
You nailed it, the openings are intense and jumbled. If you haven’t experienced such a thing you might be tempted to run for the bathroom sink.

One of the perfumers I follow mentioned that it was normal for frags to be like that back in the day. It’s apparently necessary for the perfume to be able to develop.
I agree the dry down is excellent. I’m happy I managed to get the one Tom Ford I have. Good stuff, but maybe not beginner or pauper friendly.

Back