The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

America the Beautiful.... and what we are known for

I'll go first. The photo in the article is pretty darn accurate. EVERYONE here loves to display their family on the back of the car. It is actually annoying! This one was my favorite billboard though:

And yes that was a real sign! I laughed everytime I drove past it.

So I live in West Valley City, which is a suburb to Salt Lake City, and I would say one of the coolest things here is the Stadium where the olympics where held particularly ice events like hockey. I actually went to the gold medal game.

Image result for west valley city olympics

I was born in Utah as well so nothing crazy to post for birthplace. As I actually only live 8 miles away from the house I grew up in, and my parents still live there. So here's a picture of my alma mater Westminster College, the campus is beautiful, and right near the mountains, which I spent a lot of time in during college.

Image result for westminster college

Okay. Let me be the first to say that there is absolutely NO WAY that picture epitomizes New Jersey. It is NOT a state of spiky haircuts, fake tans and blue steel looks. Not even close. That may represent a VERY SMALL minority.

These most definitely DO accurately reflect what New Jersey is all about. The last two are in a 2,000 acre park that is 8/10 of a mile from my house. Some of the best single track mountain bike trails I've ever ridden. And you can sometimes go in there and not see a single person. All of this is just a 35 minute train ride into midtown Manhattan or a 20 minute car ride into downtown Manhattan.

Image result for new jersey

Image result for new jersey

Image result for south mountain reservation nj

Image result for south mountain reservation nj

Well I'm from PA originally but lived down south longer than there and in TN longer than KY. I didn't see a pic for KY but guess it's about like TN's anyway........I'll get some pics when I get a chance.

I'll add that after growing up on Long Island, which is New York State, that picture of a rat eating a slice of pizza ticks me off even more than the Jersey picture. The beaches on Long Island are gorgeous. As gorgeous as the beaches in Jersey. And you have the Adirondack Mountains. Spectacular. Rock climbing in the Shawangunk Mountains. And Manhattan is spectacular. Jazz clubs. Museums. The best restaurants in the world.

Image result for manhattan

Haven't seen an Amish person on rollerblades yet, but there are a lot more of them around recently. The last few years they have been buying up old farms all over the county I live in. There weren't here any until about 6 years ago.

Yup, Longaberger was quite the thing for a while and he did a lot of good for the community. But he passed, and the girls were not not not businesswomen. ‘‘Twas a shame.

Back