The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Airplane spotting stuff

NurseDave

“Stefan’s Glitterbomb King”
Legacy
First Responder
Concierge
Ya’ll may know I sometimes enjoy listening to ATC while watching the airport. If anyone is interested I use the app LiveATC. But I also recently found an app that gives real time info of all active flights. Surprisingly accurate and defiantly in real time as the planes move in real time as I watch them. This app is Flightradar24

I will have to check out both of those apps. I am currently using an app called Plane Finder that shows Real time flight data. I found it one night while I was bored and looking Into the night sky and saw the lights of a plane in the sky.

Is it like ASMR ish, voices/noise in the background for you? Or What are some of the more interesting events that you smile when you hear on atc?

do you ever play atc bingo?

I will have to check out both of those apps. I am currently using an app called Plane Finder that shows Real time flight data. I found it one night while I was bored and looking Into the night sky and saw the lights of a plane in the sky.
Oh that's pretty cool too. I often wonder where the planes flying by are going or coming from.

Is it like ASMR ish, voices/noise in the background for you? Or What are some of the more interesting events that you smile when you hear on atc?

do you ever play atc bingo?
I just love behind the scenes stuff in general. How operations work and all the things people don’t realize happen to make something visible to the public work. Especially airports with airplanes which are cool too. At one point in my life I vaguely remember going to some orientation and taking a test to apply to work with the fueling trucks. I don’t think I ever heard back from them.

So I like to listen while I watch the planes landing and taking off some mornings while I have breakfast. It’s just near for me to hear the conversations behind what I’m seeing. It’s also neat to listen enough to pickup on the different styles of the controllers and notice when someone is obviously new and nervous. One of the best is a lady with a very friendly voice that gives extra info proactively when appropriate and gives everyone a friendly goodbye.

The most interesting time to listen was when the fog was so thick I couldn’t see the runways and the tower couldn’t see all the planes moving around. Some landing planes were getting diverted to San Jose and ground control was asking planes where they were because they couldn’t see.

Any times were you’ve heard something that made you nervous? Like a near miss or storm or sharknado type event?

Any times were you’ve heard something that made you nervous? Like a near miss or storm or sharknado type event?
Nah. I only listen here and there. If stuff like that happened enough for me to hear there would be a big problem. I have watched video of those conversations though.

Anyone else a little concerned that Dave is watching an airport while scanning the "airwaves?" 🤪

Last edited:
Back