The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Aftershave gone bad?!

Any chance you got any witch hazel mixed into it? I find that when I mix WH and AS the result is cloudy.

I do have a vintage bottle of Skin Bracer Cooling Blue that is cloudy like that. But it still smells fine.

Any chance you got any witch hazel mixed into it? I find that when I mix WH and AS the result is cloudy.

I do have a vintage bottle of Skin Bracer Cooling Blue that is cloudy like that. But it still smells fine.
It must have been something, I just can’t figure out how when I had the atomizer on it.

Mine does smell different too though, mustier, and not a hint of alcohol.

I am not entirely familiar with the formula but if it has any glycerin in it AND it was left exposed to a moisture rich environment it may have absorbed additional water (glycerin is very good at drawing moisture). I was not aware there was an official description (the ouzo effect) but before I saw that post that was essentially what I was thinking only on a scale that was achievable by the glycerin. You say you left an atomizer in it, that could have been the way the moisture was introduced, the atomizer could have had some excess moisture inside from prior use and it could have provided a gateway for new moisture over time. As far as musty scent, I am thinking 2 things. One is that the fragrance oils within the mixture MAY have become more oxidized as a result of the change in moisture and separation, OR your perception of the scent is changed because of how it is delivered. My only reference to Floyd Blue is an oil I purchased that is supposed to smell like Floyd Blue...it is rank and foul to my nose, I can only hope that a high alcohol delivery improves its smell vastly.

I am not entirely familiar with the formula but if it has any glycerin in it AND it was left exposed to a moisture rich environment it may have absorbed additional water (glycerin is very good at drawing moisture). I was not aware there was an official description (the ouzo effect) but before I saw that post that was essentially what I was thinking only on a scale that was achievable by the glycerin. You say you left an atomizer in it, that could have been the way the moisture was introduced, the atomizer could have had some excess moisture inside from prior use and it could have provided a gateway for new moisture over time. As far as musty scent, I am thinking 2 things. One is that the fragrance oils within the mixture MAY have become more oxidized as a result of the change in moisture and separation, OR your perception of the scent is changed because of how it is delivered. My only reference to Floyd Blue is an oil I purchased that is supposed to smell like Floyd Blue...it is rank and foul to my nose, I can only hope that a high alcohol delivery improves its smell vastly.
And here I thought we could be friends Chris.

Floid doesn’t use glycerine but does have castor oil. I imagine it could have the same effect.

You need to find a new clone oil guy, it’s a really good scent. A more gentlemanly Aqua Velva.

And here I thought we could be friends Chris.

Floid doesn’t use glycerine but does have castor oil. I imagine it could have the same effect.

You need to find a new clone oil guy, it’s a really good scent. A more gentlemanly Aqua Velva.
EVERYONE seems to like the original Floyd Blue but my only reference is the oddly off-putting "clone". Sadly, there is but one clone that I am aware of. The people that make that clone have made some clones that are pretty close duplications of things I can compare to but they have also made other stuff that is quite far off. I'll have to assume their Floyd Blue is nothing like the original.

I don't know if Castor is very hydrophilic but I do know it can get rancid pretty easily. That could contribute to an off smell. A cloudy color is most easily explained by water-oil-alcohol not being in the right amounts or being mixed wrong. Assuming nothing was added or removed maybe it got really hot or or cold.

Good thing you have an extra bottle, that stuff isn't sold any more is it.

I have had this same thing happen to some AV that had been recanted into a glass bottle that had a broken top so the alcohol had evaporated leaving a concentrated version which perhaps adding a bit more alcohol of WH might fix the issue.

Back